Recommendations for Upgrading from Gen 2 Schiit Stack for desktop set-up with LCD-3s
Apr 30, 2020 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

greyhail

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I got a Audeze LCD-3 recently and absolutely love them.
I only managed to try them with the Chord Hugo twice and was really impressed.
However i've been using the modi and magni 2 as my desktop amp and while it still is good, i'd say its a far cry from the hugo.
however the Hugo costs about 3.4k SGD which is equivalent to 2.4k USD... i'm not willing to pay that much for those diminishing returns.
I have considered turning the Mojo into a permanent desktop amp as the battery is already on the decline after all these years but i would prefer not to at this juncture.

My earphones/headphones
1. Campfire Andromeda - absolutely loved these, upgraded from jupiters
2. Audeze LCD-3
3. Oppo PM-1s
4. Audeze EL-8 closed back

In terms of amps i only have the schiit stack and my chord mojo!

From the stuff I have I guess you could say that i value the space and clarity in the andromedas, especially when paired with the mojo.
I'm also a bass player and while i do listen out for the bass guitar most of the time, i'm not a big fan of bass heavy cans/iems; my brother has the campfire Cascade and i find that a bit too boomy for my tastes. But i definitely lean towards the bassier side.

Stuff i listen to nowadays would be a lot of funk/jazz (think snarky puppy, vulfpeck, marcus miller)
But I grew up with 2000's emo and those will always be commonly in my rotation (MCR, linkin park, alexisonfire etc)

I'm looking for something with killer bang for buck, like the mojo.
Budget wise i'm looking at max 1000 USD?

There's a second hand Oppo-Ha1 i've come across going for about 700 USD.
i've read killer reviews about it but i've not been able to go have a listen unfortunately due to the social distancing measures they've introduced in Singapore.

The main goal is to get a pretty future-proof DAC/AMP combo for my pc set-up.

thank you all in advance for the advice :)

May 28, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 2
You should consider the Topping A90 amp and D90 DAC combo. It's 2 units so if that's a deal breaker look elsewhere. If you don't mind the excellent-looking A90/D90 stack then you are in for a treat. You get a fully balanced setup with known measurements in the top 1% of DAC/Amps out there. Listening wise you won't find a single flaw and you'll have tons of power for your all your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back