Recommendation for flat response / mixing headphones
Apr 21, 2023 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cursed Lemon

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, thought I'd ping this forum for recommendations on headphones with a flat frequency curve for mixing music. I was looking for something in the $200 range like the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro set, something like that, but I could be convinced to go higher.

Any recommendations on a pair that you guys enjoy? If this should be in the "Intro, Help, and Recommendations" forum then feel free to move it.

Apr 21, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 9
Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 headphones.
Boring headphones, best for audio production (mixing, editing, creating, etc.).
Great deals on used ones on eBay.

Apr 21, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 9
See now it's funny you say that, because I have the MDR-7506 pair and I think they sound horribly shrill.
I believe the 7506 was considered slightly brighter than the V6.
What sources do you plug the headphones into?

Apr 21, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 9
In this price range the Sennheiser HD560S is a good choice. I suspect that the HD400 Pro, that is almost the same headphone but a little more expensive, is more consistent in its frequency response and has less batch variance, but this is just a conjecture on my side : I have heard both (not simultaneously) and I have had the impression that my sample of the 560 was a little brigther than the 400pro, and that the 400pro was a little more 'correct' in that range, but there can simply be some batch variance (confirmed by crinacle graphs of 2 different samples of the HD560). Apart this, there is little to complain considering the price. The angled driver implementation of the HD560S is questionable in my opinion, and I found imaging and soundstage a little 'fake' and confusing, and the phantom center a bit loose; Anyway, I'm not talking of big flaws, everything is in the "acceptable" range, expecially for the price. The main highlight being the pretty neutral and flat frequency response. It' not the best I have heard in dynamics, but still good. At higher price points: maybe the Neumann NDH30 (but 3 times the price, and I haven't heard it) or my Monoprice M1570 (often discounted at around 380). Someone uses the cheaper monoprice for mixing , the 1060 for example, but I've never heard them. And the new Beyer DT900 pro X: it could be good for mixing... never heard it...

Apr 22, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 9
Hey guys, thought I'd ping this forum for recommendations on headphones with a flat frequency curve for mixing music. I was looking for something in the $200 range like the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro set, something like that, but I could be convinced to go higher.

Any recommendations on a pair that you guys enjoy? If this should be in the "Intro, Help, and Recommendations" forum then feel free to move it.
I own the DT990 (250 & 600), the sound is not flat, it's very U shaped, they sound like a movie theater.
Maybe look into planar headphones?

Apr 22, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #8 of 9
I like the closed back Shure SRH840A which is cheap, sounds pretty straight and resolving and is comfortable. Open back alternatives in the price range is Sennheiser HD560S as mentioned, or the new Beyerdynamic DT900 ProX which is much more neutral than it'a older siblings and is very comfortable.

But I think the most critical is that you "know" the headphone, in that regard it could be any headphone. The above mentioned cans can also double as cans for just enjoyment of music.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah I was just looking at some response curves actually. The 7506's which I consider to be brittle in the high end (I don't know where that bass bump is coming from because it's nonexistent in my set):

7506.png
Then the DT 990 Pros, boy that bump in the highs is ugly:

dt 990.png
Even the 660s too:

dt 660.png
I also have a set of Astro A40s which I consider to be grossly bass-focused, sure enough:

a40.png
Maybe I need to up my price range if I'm gonna find what I need \o/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back