Recommend to me a springsteen album, please.
Oct 9, 2007 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ken36

Good stuff!
Recommend to me a springsteen album, please.

Heard a great track on the ending credits of a movie and I don't even remember the movie. So I wonder if Bruce has made an album of romantic slow ballads. All I ever expect to get from any artist is 3 or 4 songs that I want to hear again.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 23
Greatest Hits or The Essential Bruce Sprigsteen
icon10.gif

Born to Run, River or Tunnel of Love. All different, but in their own way great.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 23
Born to Run is absolutely the Bruce album to start with, but then again, you are looking for ballads, so that doesn't really apply, I suppose.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamcma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Born to Run is absolutely the Bruce album to start with, but then again, you are looking for ballads, so that doesn't really apply, I suppose.

I missed that he was looking for ballads. That kind of album doesn't exist I think. Secret Garden and Sad Eyes come to my mind if thinking about individual songs. River probably doesn't count as ballad.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 23
The film you saw was prob either Philadelphia or Jerry McGuire, but I'm really just guessing.

It's nearly impossible to recommend just one Springsteen album. First of all, he's done a great deal of amazing work. Second, he has several different styles - recording with the E Street Band and as a solo artist - leaving his work running the gamut between folk, rock, pop, and lots in between!

However, since you liked that ballad (whatever it was), I would recommend starting with Tunnel of Love. Purists will scream at me for not recommending Born to Run, but this is merely my opinion. It's fairly "neutral" - not leaning too much in one direction as far as styles go - but it's got some good ballads. From there I would next pick up The River, Greetings From Asbury Park NJ, Born to Run, and Devils & Dust. The newest CD, Magic, ain't no slouch, either.

Good luck and happy listening! [size=medium]zD [/size]

Oct 9, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 23
The Ghost Of Tom Joad (1995).

It's more folk songs than 'ballads', but it's a great album. If you like that, you'll also like Nebraska...which is considered a better album. I prefer Joad tho.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 23
I would start with Born to Run or Darkness on the Edge of Town, but the best is Nebraska. My favorite is The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle, but it would be perverse to recommend that over the other 3.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #11 of 23
I'm gonna put in a second vote for Nebraska. The whole album's got a real unique feel to it; i think it might be kind of what you're looking for.

Maybe a bit on the depressing side.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 23
Most Springsteen albums are good - I think the acoustic / folk albums take abit more time to like though. I would start with either Born to Run or Darkness from the Edge of Town.

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 23
The Live at Hammersmith, London '75 is a good starting point. It covers early material up to and including Born to Run, and the sound quality is terrific.

After that, I would recommend a 1978 bootleg. Passaic Night is very good (sound quality and performance), so is the performance at the Agora (released under several titles). Live at the Winterland is my favorite performance but the sound quality is not as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back