Recommend me a USB-powered DAC/amp combo with volume indicator (display or non-infinite dial)
Oct 4, 2023 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rackhour

500+ Head-Fier
I'd like to get a new DAC/amp combo to replace my current Qudelix 5K at my workstation, simply for one reason: I want a visible indication of volume levels. This can come in the form of a display, or a physical volume knob with indicators.

The other conditions are as follows:

- I want the DAC to be USB-powered, without the need for a separate wall plug. I don't want to add to the already numerous mains plugs under my computer.
- The DAC will stay tethered to my laptop pretty much exclusively.
- I would like plugs for both balanced (either 2.5mm or 4.4mm are okay) and unbalanced jacks (3.5mm).
- I'd like something that's powerful enough for the HD6XX and the HE400SE.
- Bluetooth, MQA, internal battery, companion apps, EQ are optional. Plug and play away.

My budget is currently set to roughly $300 for now.

In my searches, I've come across the Cayin RU7, Qudelix T71 (both display, shows volume), FiiO Q11, "New" K3 (both notched dial), KA5 (display, don't know if it shows volume), among others.

Would you recommend any from this, or something totally different?

Oct 4, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 4
If you are going to play games or watch multichannel media, the Qudelix T71 has been pretty amazing so far.
It doesn't have bluetooth, tho.
Yeah, I mentioned that Bluetooth is optional for this case.

As for games, though, this would apply to only games with multichannel audio? What games have you played with the T71 so far?

Oct 4, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 4
Yeah, I mentioned that Bluetooth is optional for this case.

As for games, though, this would apply to only games with multichannel audio? What games have you played with the T71 so far?
Well, games are gonna sound good even if they are on stereo. But the T71 really makes the difference with multichannel audio games.
I've tried a few games with multichannel audio so far. Tales of Arise, Session (skateboarding), Nier Automata and Resident Evil 4 remake.
It's really cool that, on Resident Evil 4, you can see how the subwoofer channel ("B" on the T71) lights up whenever you shoot.

Overall the Qudelix T 71 downmix make games way more engaging and offers better positional sound than whe you are using the 2.0 DAC mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back