Recommend an IEM without pronounced upper mids (2-4 kHz)
Jun 10, 2023 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LongKick64

New Head-Fier
I'm sick of Harman Target and everything the Chinese are doing in the IEM world🤮 Most of their IEMs have very high upper mids (2-4 kHz)🤯 I'm looking for something that will sound like a Sennheiser IE 300 or a Beyerdynamic Xelento 2. I don't want to buy a Sennheiser IE 300 because there are so many reviews about it being unreliable and the Beyerdynamic Xelento 2 is too expensive for me. I would be very grateful if you would advise something without pronounced upper mids and with bright upper frequencies. Thanks!

PS I used to listen to these IMEs: iBasso IT01X, Tin HiFi T2 DLC, Tin Hifi T3 Plus, but I had to sell them all because of the very bright upper mids (2-4 kHz).

screenshot (1).png

screenshot (2).png

screenshot (3).png

screenshot (4).png

screenshot (5).png

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm sick of Harman Target and everything the Chinese are doing in the IEM world🤮 Most of their IEMs have very high upper mids (2-4 kHz)🤯 I'm looking for something that will sound like a Sennheiser IE 300 or a Beyerdynamic Xelento 2. I don't want to buy a Sennheiser IE 300 because there are so many reviews about it being unreliable and the Beyerdynamic Xelento 2 is too expensive for me. I would be very grateful if you would advise something without pronounced upper mids and with bright upper frequencies. Thanks!

PS I used to listen to these IMEs: iBasso IT01X, Tin HiFi T2 DLC, Tin Hifi T3 Plus, but I had to sell them all because of the very bright upper mids (2-4 kHz).

screenshot (1).png

screenshot (2).png

screenshot (3).png

screenshot (4).png

screenshot (5).png

What is your budget?

And what source are you using?

These info might help the community to better fine tune their suggestions.

Jun 10, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 13
I was going to suggest Xelento 2, but I see it is a (too expensive) reference.

The Westone Mach 30 or Mach 40 both feature very laid back, flat upper mids/treble and are more affordable than Xelento 2.

graph (1).png

JHaudio generally doesn't put much ear gain on their tunings, but they lean pretty pricey.

(Edit) Some of Campfire audio's 'lower end' models have low output between 2-4k as well:

graph (2).png

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 13
If you can stretch your budget a little bit, the Performer 8 has wonderful inoffensive mids and brilliant highs.

graph.png

Yeah, that's what I'm now saving up for. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back