recommend an affordable amp for se 420? under $100
Apr 5, 2009 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rock&rollfrenchfries

100+ Head-Fier
penguinamp vs e5 vs cmoy. and recommend anything else in the under 100 range please. sound quality is of utmost importance. i will deal with portability (but it has to be portable) and convenience (battery configuration and chargability and such). those factors take a back seat to SQ for me

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 15
also ones that are actually available and not sold out is a plus. along with a website that handles the transactions. just makes things easier.

Apr 5, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 15
I'm going to say iBasso T4. Easily beats a CMOY or E5 (I own both), not too sure about the penguine, but the T4 is extremely small and sounds fantastic. Looks cool to boot
biggrin.gif
Its only $109USD anyway, so $9 out of your budget.

Link: http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=37
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i...5-14-a-379055/

What's your source?

Apr 5, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 15
yeah sorry about the profile not set up yet. a sansa e260 rockboxed playing full quality wav files. also at home a denon avr-87. with my laptop feeding it through a cable thats a 3.5mm headphone plug at one end (laptop headphone out) and red and white rcas at the other end (denon in).

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rock&rollfrenchfries /img/forum/go_quote.gif
penguinamp vs e5 vs cmoy. and recommend anything else in the under 100 range please. sound quality is of utmost importance. i will deal with portability (but it has to be portable) and convenience (battery configuration and chargability and such). those factors take a back seat to SQ for me

I have a Microshar 107B that does very well for under $100. The website microshar.com sells them for $135 but I found mine for $80 on E-bay...shipping included.

Batteries are 2 AA rechargables. Mine last about 100 hrs There's also a P2V2 from a guy in Canada that's well thought of for under $100. He's on E-bay as well.

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 15
and by SQ i mean detail. i guess analytical. with quiet background yet luscious sounstage. and i guess DAC i might use. ive been reading about the icon mobile. but people are consistently saying it is a tad bright and better used as a DAC. does it really mellow out after a few hudred hours?

precise. rich. detail...; ibasso t4, icon mobile or travagans.

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 15
characteristics (throw me some pretty words)

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rock&rollfrenchfries /img/forum/go_quote.gif
characteristics (throw me some pretty words)

and comparisons. what else have you heard. besides what you have... whoops i meant for that to be an edit not a quote and double post.

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 15
yes sorry. anyway. A comparison although i understand are going to be fewer and far between. Will be more useful that just recommending what you have. At least tell me what you think is better about it than the other choices and why (or just describe why you like it).

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #14 of 15
that sounds good. may just be my choice. I'll just have to keep it away from rufus.

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #15 of 15
I've heard the nuforce icon extensively, and found its amp to be not as good as the T4. Less detail, slightly unresolved overall.

Do you really need the DAC? If you're going to use it with your e260 most of the time, then go for the T4. I also have an E250, and it works rather well with the T4.

If you can DIY, a mini3 is another possible option. Get a full kit from hohodiy like I did if you can't be bothered ordering parts individually and doing casework. I built one, and it wasn't hard. Very lively sounding; Rich, lustrous bass with a rather wide soundstage and nicely done vocals. Can be a bit picky with Jazz and classical, but very well balanced and works great with a variety of sources.

You won't go wrong with the T4 or Mini3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back