Recent CD purchases/Mini reviews
Dec 30, 2001 at 1:20 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
DarkAngel, is the Metallica album that has "One" on it any good? Oh, and Kurt Angle rules!
biggrin.gif

This could easily be another thread, the song "one" is from the album "justice for all" which is OK but not their best work, too complex for its own good. Most critics say best Metallica CD is "master of puppets", not mine however I say top three Metallica CDs are:
1)Kill em all
2)Ride the lightning
3)Black CD (aka Metallica CD)
I stand by my previous statement that "kill em all" is easily one of the greatest if not the greatest American speed metal album ever made, "ride lightning" is a continuation of the style from 1st CD and contains songs slightly longer in length but nearly equals the
power/creative outburst of 1st CD. "Black" is the best example of the later mature style of Metallica, I hear some early Black Sabbath influences here check the song "sad but true" (did Toni
Iommi sneak into the studio?)

Dec 30, 2001 at 5:03 PM Post #17 of 23
I used to listen to Metallica back in the 80's when they were 1st starting (with Lighting that is).

Master of Puppets and Ride the lightning are their two best speed metal albums. Kill em all is is more of thrash with some speed stuff starting to creep in. These are their best albums IMHO.

Justice for all only had two good songs on it, it's not really worth getting, me thinks.

The Black album was the 1st album that they stopped playing metal and started playing hardrock, I think they just play normal rock now. I really hated this album, and threw in it in the garbage where it belonged when it was released.

I really don't listen to them anymore, but that said, those 1st three albums , I feel are still worth getting.

Dec 30, 2001 at 9:57 PM Post #18 of 23
Got my Cds a few days ago, so here are some mini reviews :

Arcturus : Aspera Hiems Symfonia

It's the Black Metal/New Age crossover you all been waiting for! This is a very cool CD, but it's cursed with 1st album fidelity, but it's still worth getting for something quite different.

MEPHISTO & CO

WOW! Jaw dropping Fidelity and music. This CD has the best bass I have ever heard, it's a must have for classical and drak music fans. It's all classical music of course.

If only I could have wept
In mourning by Her side
I would have clasped Her so tight
Like storm-beached Aphrodite
Drowned on Kytherean tides

And Kissed Her
For from Her alone
My lips would have known
Enigmas of shadowy vistas

Where pleasures took flesh
And pain, remorseless
Came freezing the breath
Of raucous life hushed unto whispers

Jan 5, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #21 of 23
Okay, forget the wide variety of music, I went to the store and was looking at a Brad Mehldau disc and then I saw Dream Theater in NY, so I got that instead.

Dream Theater: Live in NY - Wow, a 3 hour, 15 minute long concert on CD. I haven't listened to it all yet, and other then LaBrie's voice cracking a couple times, he did a lot better then he usually does, and the band played as normal - impeccable performance. The rudess keyboard solo is absolutely great too
smily_headphones1.gif

7/10

Bozzio Levin Stevens - Black Light Syndrome - Great insturmental prog rock CD, this album will take many listens to learn the intracies of, and has been very enjoyable so far.
7/10

I remind you guys, when I rate stuff, I rate very harshly.

Jan 8, 2002 at 9:18 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Slayer/Reign in Blood, everyone praises this CD but I think it is very weak, every song sounds the same, no melody, just boring thrash.

I agree, darkangel. I've never quite understood the appeal of this record. I think it may be that the punkers found in Slayer a band that had more of a punk, short song, angsty ethic rather than a Metallicaesque/British Metal/8 minute epic vibe, and punk rockers are the ones that gave Slayer real cred. Raining Blood and Angel of Death have signature Slayer riffs, but other than those brief highlights, this record deserves no more mention other than as a part of a spotty but interesting catalog of one of America's best thrash bands.

One record I got recently that deserves a review is Jandek's Interstellar Discussion. Jandek is an artistic recluse who has released his own style of blues without ever performing live or publicly identifying himself.

At first listen this record is a rather childish sounding ejaculation of poorly played blues, but after about fifteen minutes I started to understand the dreamy quality that Jandek was trying to create. His very lo-fi recordings sound like the soundtrack to an alcoholics fitful sleep, full of dreams of failed ambitions, half-hoped enthusiasm for tomorrow and a forgetful sense of place that doesn't allow you to create a solid reality. Everything shifts around in this universe, you never have the opportunity to get a real toe hold because Jandek's feelings are too loose and free-flowing for standard reference points.

If you can find his CD's at a well-stocked record store, they're very cheap ($8 or less), so pick one up.

cajunchrist

Jan 9, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #23 of 23
neil: I agree completely. What shocks me even more is how technically knowledgeable he is - I expected to find some sort of made-for-rock drummer who just puts together quite complex, beats....but this guy knows a LOT about drumming. Theorey. Tabla. Whatever.

Search the net for interviews with him....i found one that was pretty long........

I like Lateralus a lot, mainly because it has this sorta of tribal sound to it because most of the songs are drum driven, as opposed to guitar driven.

I mean, the lyrics are weak IMO - subtle is good, vague is bad, IMO, and tool is not too succesfully walking that album throughout that album - though I did like Schism's lyrics, and The Grudge is like a sing-a-long (grude it like a cornerstone, lalalala
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back