receiver as part of your computer-as-source rig?
Aug 10, 2004 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

emphatic

New Head-Fier
My preference for my home setup is to use my computer(s) as my source, since I have more flexibility in my playlists, querying my collection, and randomization, etc.

My current setup is to use a laptop as an interface to my jukebox software. This laptop has the Xitel Pro Hifi-Link USB soundcard acting as a digital passthru, to a digital coax out. Here is where my question begins...

Right now i have the digital coax out going into a receiver. More specifically, the Kenwood VR-309. The receiver is certainly capable of the digital to analog conversion, as any receiver with a digital input is. The question is, how does this receiver (or any other receiver really) stand up to a standalone DAC?

I have read through this forum for a while now, and everyone mentions one or two DAC's that they prefer, and which ones sound better, etc. I'm just surprised that there is not more talk of receivers in the computer-as-source crowd. Is this because most receivers have cheap DAC's in them? Is it because everyone has a different rig for their computer, than their "real" rig?

I use my receiver for the purpose of DAC in my rig because it is multifunctional for me. I have my turntable and CD player (digital coax as well) hooked up to my receiver also. This way, I have one set of speakers hooked up to the receiver, and my handy dandy headphone jack to boot.

Am I missing something? Is this setup just way to subpar for audiophiles? Is there a way to get a nice high end receiver to do this instead of a standalone DAC?

curious,
b

Aug 10, 2004 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 7
No reason a receiver with integrated DAC can't be good. It would come under Amplification or Speakers rather than Computer as source. Speaker amplification however isn't a speciality of Head-Fi, as one would expect! Actually I'm hoping to get an old Marantz integrated amp, since they are said to have both good phono preamps and good headphone output. Good headphone output is rare in integrated amplifiers and receivers apparently.
Does your receiver have a phono preamp at all?

Aug 10, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
Does your receiver have a phono preamp at all?

phono, as in phonograph, ie. my technics turntable? yes, it does. as for headphone amplification, it's pretty decent. i'm currently shopping for a new pair of cans for home listening. i use Senn 280 Pro's at work, since i *need* a fully closed (for both directions of seepage) setup. i'm not sure which phone's i'll buy for home listening, but my receiver does power the 280 Pro's pretty well.

Aug 10, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 7
I used to use my $450 Kenwood VR-6070 reciever as my DAC, in exactly the same fashion you are, and through experimenting, found I slightly prefered the DAC on my Revo 7.1. I vastly prefer the DAC on my EMU 1212m.

I'm actually to the point where i've tossed around the idea of having my reciever feed out digital output to my EMU, letting it do the DAC work for stuff that isn't computer based.
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 7
this is all very good to hear. it sounds like it's a personal choice, and that there isn't an immediately bad thing to say about using a receiver for a DAC.

at home i listen to my speakers (making a sweet spot out of my nice leather club chair for reading, etc) almost exclusivly. at work i'm in my Senn 280 Pro's for nearly all of my 8ish hours.

if and when i get a nice pair of open phones for home, i may end up adding a headphone amp to the setup. we'll see...

it's neverending isn't it... i love that part
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back