Reccomend me shoegaze+female vocal
Jan 12, 2005 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

terrymx

Headphoneus Supremus
i've been listening to slowdive and its very suitable for my style. i'm thinkig with female vocal added would be excellent. anyone have a recommend. thanks.

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
i've been listening to slowdive and its very suitable for my style. i'm thinkig with female vocal added would be excellent. anyone have a recommend. thanks.

CURVE (all albums especially "pubic fruit")
Toni Halliday is reigning goddess of female shoegaze kingdom, all others must bow before her. Check Amazon for used CDs of Curve.
e49787w9hct.jpg

Also as you know there are a couple female vocal tracks on:
SLOWDIVE - Souvlaki
Also a couple female vocal tracks on:
MY BLOODY VALENTINE - Loveless

LUSH - Gala + Spooky + Split
Two female vocalists float over shimmering curtains of feedback and noise
f59466ig63m.jpg

Also check these out, not really true shoegaze but very close:
CRANES - Loved + EP collection
MEDICINE - Shot forth + Buried Life + Her Highness

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx

You might want to check out Mazzy Star. Dreamy pop with a slight country/folk sound.

Members of Slowdive are now in a group called Mojave 3.. they're also more folky but still very dreamy sounding. I would recommend their first album ASK ME TOMORROW as it has the most songs with Rachel singing. In fact, I think on all the other Mojave 3 albums, Neil Halstead does just about all the singing.

I love the Pale Saints' album IN RIBBONS. Very classic shoegazer, about half the songs on that album have female vocals. But all the songs are great on there.

You might also want to investigate YO LA TENGO. They trade off alot between female/male vocals, but I would say they're definately worth checking out.

-jar

Jan 12, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 11
mazzy star's Hope Sandoval also released an excellent solo album on Rough Trade - artist is 'Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions', album is named 'Bavarian Fruit Bread'. good pick, Masonjar...

Jan 12, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 11
You might like The Sundays too, seeing as how I can never figure out who remade "Wild Horses" - Mazzy Star or The Sundays. Hmm, I think it was The Sundays.

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 11
Some great suggestions so far, but thought I'd just plug a couple Steve Albini productions that I really like. Neither is quite shoegaze, but both share a certain slowcore similarity to Slowdive, a band I like very much, especially the Souvlaki album that DA mentioned (like the dish too, but I guess that's a bit off topic
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Anyway, one of the best of 2001 that you should definitely check out is Low Things We Lost In The Fire if you haven't already. It's really a slowcore classic, even if only a few years old. Mimi trades off vocals with her husband Alan. Really shimmers. Great Steve Albini production on this one too.

And another Albini minimal production from just a couple years ago, Nina Nastasia The Blackened Air. More shimmer and odd tales and metaphors. Very cool. Nice review at http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...ckku3x0an6k~T1 which I'll go ahead and copy below....

Review by Andy Kellman
Just how beautiful is The Blackened Air? Remarkably beautiful, though it's far from a smooth train ride through the rustic southern town where it seemingly takes place. Chunks of falling ice nearly take the lives of pigeons, peeping Toms leer outside windows, communication between two lovers breaks down, and the days pass by slowly, only to repeat themselves over and over and over again. The clouds look more like coal than cotton, and one of the protagonists is capable of drowning the town's people in her tears. Backed by a skilled cast of musicians who take on the standard rock band instrumentation plus bowed saw, accordion, violin, cello, and mandolin, singer/songwriter/guitarist Nina Nastasia spins her lazy, elegantly adorned tales of rural life with a voice that effortlessly slips into your ears. She rarely belts it out, because her lithe voice is perfectly capable of gaining attention when it's just above a whisper. In fact, when her voice is just a little louder than audible, she's at her most powerful. Lines like "I want you...I want you...I want to strike you" fall from her mouth as if she doesn't want to wake the slumbering partner lying next to her, conflicted between lust and dread. This record flows so easily that it sounds as if it made itself. However, engineer Steve Albini should be commended for making this record sound as if it was birthed in a spacious, creaky farmhouse. Intimate, delicate, and laced with greatness, Nastasia's second release is one of those records that only takes one listen to be justly evaluated as special and timeless. The pain is sweet.

Jan 13, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel

LUSH - Gala + Spooky + Split
Two female vocalists float over shimmering curtains of feedback and noise
f59466ig63m.jpg

The Lush recommendation, oddly enough, turned out to be fairly interesting to me.

Jan 14, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 11
thanks for the recommendations. seem like i have alot of band to check out. i only have slowdive's first album and there wasnt much vocals there. i'll check out their second too.

i think the term dreamy pop hits it, thats is probably the style i'm looking for.

btw, have one heard 'monster movies'. i think its made up of the two slowdive members.

Jan 14, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #9 of 11
OK...check out Asobi Seksu now!!!! No seriously, one of the overlooked albums of 2004 (and it was a rerelease). Great shoegaze qualities with a female lead vocal to die for. Also able to wield the power of the fun pop song. Scary good.

Jan 15, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 11
Hello, fellow Slowdive fan
cool.gif

If you decide to try Yo La Tengo, give I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One a try. IMO it's their best, and one of my favorite albums of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back