RE2 vs. NE-7M - isolation
Jan 27, 2009 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sfrancis

Head-Fier
Hi,

A total newbie here and I'm considering the above two IEMs. Music taste is pretty mixed but mainly soft rock, vocal, classical and a bit of of everything else. Read lots of threads on these two but still can't decide. One important criteria is that I would like to have good noise isolation as I mainly use this in Gym with fairly noisy background. Don't want to spend a fortune for now and the above two costs about the same (US$50). For RE2 I will use the tip that comes with the package and for NE-7M I will probably get a Shure soft flex tip.

Any comments on the performance of the two e.g. noise isolation and sound quality ?

Thanks very much

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 8
I think the NE-7M's are considered superior in the SQ department, but with stock tips I don't think the isolation is great(but with replacement tips its better than the RE2)

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 8
Without an amp, the 7 is a more usable phone, but with a cheap amp, like the E3 or E5, the RE2 is a very detailed, more refined phone. The major difference is the on the bottom end, where there is no comparison - the 7 delivers a much more bass-oriented sound. For either phone, using T400 foamies from Comply is a great tip, so to speak, since you asked about isolation. I'd say they are about the same with the Comply, with the 7 having a small edge (cause they can go a little deeper). I could never get good sound or iso from either using silicone tips.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks Ballz2TheWallz and tstarn06 for your answers. Looks like we have a consensus that NE-7 is better in SQ. I also appreciate the comment about isolation using silicon tip. I like silicon tip for convenience but I guess I need to have a trade off between isolation and convenience. Now leaning towards NE-7.

Thanks again.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 8
I have both, and can say NE7Ms by a long margin on isolation. The RE2 are a "semi-open" iem...the little holes you see on the back of the drivers are actually little holes!

You can use silicone tips on the NE7Ms...I don't really know which Sure model works, but also the RE2 tips fit perfectly...

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 8
LeftyGorilla: thanks for your confirmation. I read your review in another post and I'm glad that you confirmed for me the isolation. That nails it. Will get the NE-7 tomorrow.

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 8
Bought the NE-7M and boy it blows me away. This is my first entry level headphone and I'm very happy with it. Isolation is very good for what I intend to do and sound quality is so much better across the frequency range. Thanks everyone who shared your experience/opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back