RCA Plug Shells Touch
Apr 24, 2003 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SuperGiraffe

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know any harmful effects that can be brought about by RCA plugs (metal) touching each other on the back of a component? The jacks on some of my gear is spaced fairly tightly, and some larger plugs touch each other, in some cases bending the female jacks slightly.
frown.gif

Any observations/experiences/advice would be greatly welcome.

Apr 25, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 10
Am I the only person that this happens to?
confused.gif

I know there are those of you out there with the super-exotic cables with the giant locking plugs that threaten the integrity of your rca jacks!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 25, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 10
SG, I had the problem with the Outlaw cables and my NAD C541i. Not only did it put a lot of strain on the jacks, but removing them was an absolute nightmare. The NAD jacks are spaced MUCH to close together, but the plug barrels on the Outlaws are MUCH too big. Made for a very bad combination.

Apr 25, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 10
The plugs were so hard to remove that I screwed up the gound connection of the jacks, I had to return the unit. I contemplated repairing it myself but, after contacting the dealer, they were kind enough to send me a new one and took the old one on a pro-rated exchange.

So, to answer your question.....yes.

Apr 25, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by SuperGiraffe
Am I the only person that this happens to?
confused.gif

No, you're not the only person this happens to. The locking connectors on my HGA Silver Lace touch at the output from my Sont 333ES SACD player. I don't really know if there are any electrical repercussions. In my case I just wrapped a piece of black electricians tape around one of the connectors.

Apr 26, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 10
I had this happen with some LAT ic's and the owner of LAT said put elec. tape between them or send them back. I used the tape for about 10 months and had no problems.

Apr 27, 2003 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
Potential ground loops.

I wondered about that after I posted. I assume that the electrical tape would help prevent that from happening since I don't seem to have a problem in my system.

Apr 27, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the responses everyone. I haven't noticed any problems with ground loops in my system, but I am a bit concerned with the strain issue. I sent an e-mail to the manufacturer inquiring as to whether I can have them re-terminated with lower-profile plugs. Love the sound of the cables -- just what my system needed -- and don't want to give them up. Again, thanks, everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back