RapcoHorizon Professional TRS AUX Cables
Jun 3, 2020 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

StarTreker

500+ Head-Fier
Have any of you heard of RapcoHorizon cables? Most people in the professional industry know Mogami cables, which are very overpriced in my opinion. I've been on a hunt for higher quality custom cables, but all I could find on Amazon were either overpriced Mogami cables with termination issues, or all the cheap crap. I've been running on an Ivanky cable currently, and while the sound is OK through it, I am just not happy with the super thin nature of the cable. I fear that if I keep using it, eventually the cable is going to go on me.

The Ivanky cable uses gold plated connectors with a pure copper shell, which is good! It uses an outer TPE jacket, stranded shielding that is not impressive. It does use oxygen free copper strands, but the entire gauge is not all made up of conductive strands, there are multiple strands of non-conductive white supporting strands. Then they have an extra plastic layer of protection between the copper strands, and the shielding strands. Basically, Ivanky cables are low quality cables trying to be high quality cables, but are really just fooling people into a false sense of security.

While reading reviews on Mogami AUX cables, I came across a review that said, while the the wires themselves were great quality, the way Mogmai terminates the AUX cables is terrible, and eventually results in a hum being heard, after they have been used for awhile. They went on to state that they started making their own cables, until they came across RapcoHorizon cables, which are apparently the same quality and using the same quality termination technique, so they just started buying Rapco's instead from then on.

I ordered this RapcoHorizon 1/8 TRS to 1/4 TRS Line Cable (10 Foot)

What is awesome, is you can buy any of their cables in different lengths, depending on what you need. And they make lots of different types of audio cables, so pretty much anything you need, they got. I chose that cable type specifically, so I wouldn't need to use an adapter to plug into my SMSL amp anymore, custom made for what I need, I love it.

The RapcoHorizon cable uses 2 - 24 gauge pure copper center conductors, so right away, thats an improvement! It uses bare annealed copper braid shielding, that sounds better to me. The shield coverage is 80% of the cable. The jacket is matt PVC, which seems to be pretty standard these days for cables. Capacitance: 32 pF/ft. @ 1 kHz. Characteristic Impedance: 45Ω NOMINAL. D.C. Resistance @ 20°C: 15Ω/1000. O.D. 0.175". I wish they used gold plated connectors, but I think their nickel plated. And the cables come with a lifetime warranty against defects!

Jun 15, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 2
Well, I gotta say, this cable ended up looking more impressive then it really is. The problem is the 1/8 connector. Even when its all the way in, you have to apply pressure to the side of the connector, in order to get sound out of both sides. Or, pull the connector out a tiny bit, in order to achieve the same result. But the sweet spot in that position is so microscopic, there is no way its gonna stay there. I don't understand what is wrong with the connector. The Ivanky cable I've been using works just fine.

And even after switching cables back and fourth, the Ivanky cable is still working fine, nothing wrong with the connector. Which means, there can't be anything wrong with my headphone port! I've already sent a message to Front End Audio asking them just how they personally test the cables like their site says. Cause it seems to me, if they personally tested the cables like they claim, then they would have discovered the defective connector. I waited 2-weeks for a cable that is DOA, sux.

IMG_1847.JPG
IMG_1848.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG
IMG_1850.JPG

EDIT: 6/17/20 Message Reply From Front End Audio

"RapcoHorizon tests every cable they build with a traditional cable tester. The cable is connected to two points of the test that sends voltage through the cable from point A to point B to ensure all contacts are working properly. If you are having to put pressure on the side of the jack, that would to a degree angle the jack inside the connector, thus completing a contact point. Sounds like there might be contact points in the connector that are set back so it is too large for the jack to make proper connection with. Not all connectors and jacks are made to the exact same size. There can be some slight degrees in size (this can definitely be the case with 3.5mm connectors on headphones)"

When I replied and brought up the idea of getting a refund, even though return might be difficult during Corona times, response is crickets, in other words, no response.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back