[rant] Logitech keeps not getting it
Aug 8, 2006 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Oliver :)

Headphoneus Supremus
Just saw this on iLounge, the Logitech® Wireless DJ™ Music System.

This looked perfect until I read the specs. Just look at it. Sleek, simple, it has the urgently needed screen, finally something simple and elegant to control iTunes (or sth. else) with no bluetooth or VNC network hassle, no techno-overkill with full PDAs or notebooks just to control the music. As I said, I then read the specs. There is no mentioning of a digital out, possibly even a bit-perfect one, and it is not even clear whether this thing can transmit ALAC or FLAC. I have already dropped them a mail inquiring about the obvious omissions, and so should you (watch out, it is a bit tedious to go though their feedback system). For $250 a digital out should be well possible, but I am simply not interested in something that offers just analog. It totally defies the purpose and misses the audiophile market entirely. Really, this could have been so nice!
frown.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 6
Well it patently skips all of the lossless media file types.

MP3, WMA, and possibly AAC (supports itunes libraries)

Now, will they add this, and will thier hardware support lossless files. Perhaps. Is this aimed at all at the audiophiles - not in my opinion. This is aimed at the ipod bud/bose generation. No doubt it will also attatch a bloatware Logitech auto updater to your windows startup which will pop up whenever you get really into a good song using foobar.

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13
Is this aimed at all at the audiophiles - not in my opinion.

Ja, it's pretty evident that we are not the target group. It is a pity though, I do like the concept. I also wonder why Apple has not yet released anything like this for AirTunes. The Frontrow remote is a joke - no that's not true, it is totally dependant on the presence of your Mac & screen, which defies what AirTunes is all about. One could get that Keyspan remote that connects to the USB of the APX station, but due to the lack of a screen that is pretty pointless too.

Aug 8, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Just saw this on iLounge, the Logitech® Wireless DJ™ Music System.

This looked perfect until I read the specs. Just look at it. Sleek, simple, it has the urgently needed screen, finally something simple and elegant to control iTunes (or sth. else) with no bluetooth or VNC network hassle, no techno-overkill with full PDAs or notebooks just to control the music. As I said, I then read the specs. There is no mentioning of a digital out, possibly even a bit-perfect one, and it is not even clear whether this thing can transmit ALAC or FLAC. I have already dropped them a mail inquiring about the obvious omissions, and so should you (watch out, it is a bit tedious to go though their feedback system). For $250 a digital out should be well possible, but I am simply not interested in something that offers just analog. It totally defies the purpose and misses the audiophile market entirely. Really, this could have been so nice!
frown.gif

I think Logitech does get it. They're just not trying to do what you want them to do. You want them to serve a tiny market. They've decided to focus on the mainstream market. I don't care about FLAC, but they don't serve the music software that I use. So, they're not taking care of me either. But I recognize that, from a business standpoint, it would be nuts for them to make people like you or people like me their target market. If this product iis successful in the marketplace, they might add capability in future tweaks. But I understand why they're not doing it right away. I don't know why you would expect them to do other than what they are doing.

Aug 9, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
I don't know why you would expect them to do other than what they are doing.

Because

a) the transmission is digital anyway, it would be even cheaper to have a digital out than the probably crummy analog stage they do have. Plus adding one could impossibly add considerable cost.

b) not fully supporting the formats the "supported" programs offer is simply an insolence. There is not excuse for it.

c) I still think $250 is a considerable amount, especially for what is basically a remote control. It is a sad, sad statement about the state of the market when you can release underequipped tech at this price.

d) I am miffed that there seemingly is no product that caters to my niche-needs and geeky expectations
tongue.gif
(although I would like to stress that the shortcomings of this thing are in no way near geek territory. It is not that it should have a balanced output stage or AES ports
rolleyes.gif
)

Aug 10, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 6
Many motyherboards have digital outs and those are not even primarily focussed on audio. I think you may expect digital output on an audio oriented product like this.
A digital out only product would be a niche product but a very nice one that could be offered at a lower price due to the lack of a DAC circuit and the simpler drivers. But please make the drivers bit-perfect and add Toslink and coax connections!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back