Radio shack pads for grados
Oct 19, 2001 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

beni

100+ Head-Fier
What's the part number for the radio shack pads that fit the grado sr60? I'd like to try the comfy mod on a cheap pair of pads to see if I like the change before I do it on the $15 genuine grado pads.

thanks.

Oct 19, 2001 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 11
Foam Earpads for RadioShack Wireless Phone

$2.49 Reg. Price
Cat.#: 33-379

33-379.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=33%2D379

Oct 19, 2001 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 11
Good idea. Practice on something cheap.
wink.gif

Who knows you might like the way the RS ones sound and keep them!

Does anyone know the difference in thickness between the two?
(RS vs. Grado comfys)
If they are the same thickness then the sound should be similar?

Oct 19, 2001 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 11
RS foam pads are both thinner foam thickness and less dense foam. Don't find them to be as good as Grado comfies. My experiments still find the best pad for Grados is comfies with center cut-out, then flipped when installed over driver so cut hole is over driver and stock hole is against ear.

Oct 19, 2001 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

My experiments still find the best pad for Grados is comfies with center cut-out, then flipped when installed over driver so cut hole is over driver and stock hole is against ear.

Funny thing Dark is that I did this a few months ago, by mistake really. The hole that I cut came out looking rather sloopy so I turn them around and now they look like they were made that way.
smily_headphones1.gif
I had these on my SR-60 w/ this mod for the longest time. I had the new bowl pads on my HP-2's.

Last night I decided to swap them as a goof. Well, now the HP-2's sounds better than ever. Unreal! Also, I find that I like the sound of my 60's better w/ the bowl pads, due to the fact that they make the soundstage bigger (more so on the 60's than the HP-2's).

So now I feel that the SR-60's sound better w/ the bowl pads.
The HP-2 sound better with the modded comfies.

I never tried the RS pads, every Ratshack that I have been to never have them in stock, oh well it's not like I need them or anything.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2001 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 11
KR
I would not steer you wrong, I am card carrying member of team Grado..........not only do modified/flipped comfies sound great,
they are oh soooooooooooooooo comfortable!

Don't know anything about lower model Grados and how this mod effects them, but I will take your word for it.

Oct 19, 2001 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Don't know anything about lower model Grados and how this mod effects them, but I will take your word for it.

It only really just made the 60's sound clear. That's all really. But, it really does help the HP-2. Not that it needed much help, but it's magical now. I was listening to some Wagner last night before going to sleep, oh so lovely
tongue.gif

My hearing are really great, so I can hear any change made to my system. I also tend to listen to the same CDs a lot, so I know my CDs really well, which helps too.

I think that anyone with the 60's should get themsleves the bowl pads, I think they really sound much better on those Grados than the comfy ones they come with or even the modded comfies.

Anyone with the HP-1000's should give this comfy mod a try, all 5 of you
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2001 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 11
i tried the flipped comfies with a hole about a year ago. i did not like 'em. i like the circumcised bowl pads better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back