Quick Xbox 360 question
Sep 27, 2007 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

GlendaleViper

Yep, words.
Hey folks,

Just hoping to get a quick opinion here. I'm buying a 360 console and the choice is between the normal system (packed in with Forza2, 20gb HDD) or the Halo 3 edition, which has no games, but sports HDMI and the revised hardware (quieter, cooler).

The Forza package is cheaper, and I would buy the game at some point anyway...

...but HDMI is nice and I'm wondering if the "new system" is enough of an update to make it stupid to buy the older hardware. Also, I'm unsure if component connections are capable of progressive scan (want 720p, not 1080i, TV doesn't support full 1080p).

Any help is appreciated, as I'm likely to be purchasing the system tonight...

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 15
HDMI units are the August 2007 units and are supposedly much less prone to give TRRD.

edit1: Three Red Rings of Death - which is covered by MSFT for 3yrs after date of purchase.
edit2: meijer.com has the HDMI premium (no games) for $290 shipped (taxes are up to your state) according to here. I almost pulled the trigger, but held off and bought a used one instead.

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 15
Component cables on the 360 work for up to 1080i, you need VGA or HDMI for 1080p. I say get the Halo 3 one cause of the fact that it's the revised hardware.

Sep 27, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 15
Well, I'm definitely leaning toward the halo system... but it's like $60 cheaper for the "old" box and on top of it, Forza 2 is packed in. It's a tough call, but I like the idea of the revised hardware just the same...

Sep 27, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 15
I have had my 360 since day 1 and have never had an issue. I've even had it sitting on top of a hot reciever in an enclosed stereo cabinet for a long period of time and it's worked just fine.

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 15
Yea, see and I never had problems with my early model either before I hocked it. From what I hear, the revised systems do indeed run cooler and have a quieter drive, but are still succeptible to the RROD.

It's a tough call because I WILL end up buying Forza 2...

Sep 27, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 15
component cables for the 360 will do 1080p as far as I know, but most TV's won't accept it. Also, the new hardware on the 360 supposedly isn't out yet...I think the Halo edition is just a premium with a new case...

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 15
The Halo edition seems like the Elite version (due to the HDMI port) but with a 20GB HD instead of a 120GB HD and a new case of course
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Halo edition seems like the Elite version (due to the HDMI port) but with a 20GB HD instead of a 120GB HD and a new case of course
wink.gif

This was the dumbest decision ever. If you upgrade to a 120 or whatever later, it will stick out like a sore thumb. I doubt they'll make a special Halo 3 120GB HDD later. I guess you could always void your warranty and mod the drive.

-Ed

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 15
Thanks for the tip Ed. I ended up going with the Forza 2 package and indeed, it was manufactured on 7/24/2007. Nice.

Just couldn't justify paying an extra 50 bucks for a fancy paint scheme, HDMI capability and a play and charge kit, without the game that, besides Halo, is the reason for owning the box.

Case closed, thanks for the input!

Cheers.

[EDIT] Incidentally, this version DOES have HDMI... so for 50 bucks less, all I'm missing out on is a fancy paint scheme, Play and charge ($30) but in lieu of that, I get Forza 2 ($60). Fair trade, no? Worse, the fine folks at EB tried to assure me that I'd be suffering with component-only from this machine.

The Viper is a happy camper!

Sep 27, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Component cables on the 360 work for up to 1080i, you need VGA or HDMI for 1080p. I say get the Halo 3 one cause of the fact that it's the revised hardware.

Not true. I get 1080p over component.

Sep 27, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 15
Glendale, I don't think you could go wrong. Personally, I hate the way the Halo version looks (man its ugly), but I would probably go for the improved hardware. Then again, its my opinion that unless your component slots are all used up, there is no advantage to HDMI. Either way you can't go wrong.

Sep 27, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 15
Seems to be a silent upgrade (I can't find indication anywhere that non-elite or Halo editions sport HDMI), so...

...FOR THE RECORD:

Forza 2 360 kit (all presumably manufactured after 7/1/2007) has HDMI connectivity and, per Ed's note, will have the extra heat sink and quieter drive.

If you're going to buy Forza anyway, this is a no-brainer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back