Quick USB/Vistas Question
Oct 28, 2007 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sordel

1000+ Head-Fier
I searched in computer-as-an-audio-source but didn't find a thread on this problem, so I thought that I'd ask here.

I'm trying to use my Micro DAC with Vistas, and the driver properly installs and everything says that it's working. The test sound even plays correctly! But ... the sound still comes through the Creative X-Fi with music, and I can't seem to get it to play. I found a hotfix offered by M$ for a problem with USB audio devices, but I just want to check whether this is indeed the same problem, or am I simply missing an option under Vistas?

Oct 29, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 8
You haven't checked the USB DAC as the playback device of choice. In your system tray (bottom right hand corner) where you clock is, you'll see a little speaker icon. Right click and select "playback devices". When you open it up you should see the usb dac and the x-fi. Select the usb dac as default device and re-start your audio program. Enjoy the bliss.

Oct 29, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for this, Eli ... the option was checked (I had been through every menu that I could find ten times) but I had simply omitted to restart the application! Anyway, it all works fine now.

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 8
Hey Guys,

Here's a link some may have already checked out that MIGHT potentially help Vista users with some of these issues:
confused.gif

http://thevistaforums.com/lofiversio...php/t1966.html

Cheers,

Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 8
Get rid of that Vista nonsense, all bloat ware. Even Microsoft has given up on it. They have announced the next OS called Blackcomb to be released late next year. I wonder why.

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get rid of that Vista nonsense, all bloat ware. Even Microsoft has given up on it. They have announced the next OS called Blackcomb to be released late next year. I wonder why.

I beg to differ. Windows Vista (Codename Longhorm) was at one time scheduled for a release in 2003 with the next edition Vienna (previously Blackcomb) announced for 2005. In the end Vista was delayed to 4th quarter 2006 and Vienna is currently planned for 2010.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdauwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I beg to differ. Windows Vista (Codename Longhorm) was at one time scheduled for a release in 2003 with the next edition Vienna (previously Blackcomb) announced for 2005. In the end Vista was delayed to 4th quarter 2006 and Vienna is currently planned for 2010.

Yes this was all true, although I still stand by what I have posted. Microsoft has a tendency to reuse old names when its suits. They Plan for their next OS to be released some time late next year and being typically Microsoft I'm sure this will spill into 2009. This info was from an Insider at Microsoft. Do with this what you will.
Some people have renamed Vista to Windows millennium 2. Remember that atrocity.

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Well, to an extent one has to love an operating system that puts up error messages that say that an application's crash "was caused by Windows Vista, produced by Microsoft Corporation". And to think they say that no one takes responsibility for anything any more!
tongue.gif

I'd like to add another question without starting a separate thread, so perhaps someone can advise me. I guess that USB is the way to go with the Micro DAC and this is now running. For obscure reasons to do with the number of ugly cables sticking out of the front fascia I am inclined, however, to use the optical in (fed by the SPDIF output of a Sound Blaster X-Fi). Obviously this output is compromising the digital stream, because it still has variable volume. How worried should I be about using this output, and are there settings that I can use to tame it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back