Quick PC Game audio question
Aug 30, 2004 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

oneeyedhobbit

1000+ Head-Fier
I'll try to keep this simple. I was playing Stasr Wars: Jedi Knight Academy (on loan from a friend), and even on low settings, I'm having some audio problems. Usually, voices (or something else, but mostly voices) will be talking along, then its like "the needle is stuck" for a second--they'll start repeating what they were saying, then glitch to a spot further ahead in the audio. What is the culprit here? Is it my system too slow, could the graphics settings be interfering, or is it my soundcard?

P4 3.06 Ghz
512 MB Ram
60GH HD
nVidia Geforce FX Go5200, 64MB
On board sound

I'm hoping its the sound, because I kind of want to get an external gaming card anyway (I assume for pure gaming the Audigy would be the way to go?).

Aug 30, 2004 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 13
this belongs here buddy.... moved from meetings forum

Aug 30, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
this belongs here buddy.... moved from meetings forum

Sorry Tubes, was meant to be in the members lounge, as its not on source audio.

Aug 30, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 13
So it might be a game issue, and I've no idea what gsferrari and Mr. Rader are talking about--uh, help?

Aug 30, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 13
Troubleshooting sound problems in games is hard. Half the time it's your rig, the other half your game. As a rule of thumb I generally look toward your FPS(Frames Per Second). With your system specs you should be pushing some pretty high numbers depending on detail and resolution you're running. (100+fps). If you have low FPS then there is something wrong and its your rig that is stuttering.

If you have high FPS then it probably isn't your Vid. card or rig. It still could still be your sound card because certain games do enjoy certain cards over others. I've never been a fan of On-Board sound, never. Generally even though your card supposedly puts out great sound for being onboard, I'd probably spring for a Audigy 2 for gaming. It's widely supported, aswell as having compatablility with almost every game. I hope this helps.

If all else fails:

Install latest drivers, patch to most recent version, check game forums for known bugs, try a different sound card from friend if you can, see if you can duplicate the problem.

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
It's not an issue with his video card (GPU) but with his onboard SoundStorm audio (note it's nvapu.sys not nvgpu.sys).

He can't have SoundStorm. He is running a P4, Nvidia only supports AMD cpus.

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by llmobll
Troubleshooting sound problems in games is hard. Half the time it's your rig, the other half your game. As a rule of thumb I generally look toward your FPS(Frames Per Second). With your system specs you should be pushing some pretty high numbers depending on detail and resolution you're running. (100+fps). If you have low FPS then there is something wrong and its your rig that is stuttering.

If you have high FPS then it probably isn't your Vid. card or rig. It still could still be your sound card because certain games do enjoy certain cards over others. I've never been a fan of On-Board sound, never. Generally even though your card supposedly puts out great sound for being onboard, I'd probably spring for a Audigy 2 for gaming. It's widely supported, aswell as having compatablility with almost every game. I hope this helps.

If all else fails:

Install latest drivers, patch to most recent version, check game forums for known bugs, try a different sound card from friend if you can, see if you can duplicate the problem.

I'm planning on eventually springing for an external Audigy. Meanwhile, I'll troubleshoot what I can. How do I find FPS?

Aug 31, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 13
I don't want to bump my own post, but I've been putzing on the game, and have absolutely no idea how to find my fps.

Aug 31, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 13
To find your Frames per Second is very simple but i'm not sure of the command in your specific game.

In the older versions of Jedi Knight(which used the Quake 3 engine) all you have to do is get into the Console by pressing the key " ~ " (without the quotes). This brings up the console where you can execute commands directly to the games engine. You will have to look up the command because I dont' know it off the top of my head but it would be something similar to "show fps" or "draw fps" or a command of that nature. Look on the games website for Console commands or Google.com it. I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back