Question Regarding DAC/AMP for Headphones.
Nov 22, 2023 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Exoriya

New Head-Fier
I am not an expert or know anything about audio, so please excuse me for being a novice. Xp

While I was waiting to be accepted to make posts, I did make a post on another forum which I won't link for reasons. I explained how I plan on upgrading my gear to newer versions. I am currently locked into having a SM7dB with a Rodecaster Duo. Expensive, but will be long-term and for years to come with no additional upgrades. I would prefer getting the dB version because it'll have an installed pre-amp. I did read alot of issues/concerns with people needing to use a cloudlifter to use Discord etc. While I do use discord to game with friends, I didn't wanna run into that issue.

Which leaves me with a question regarding a DAC/AMP for headphones. I currently have Sennheiser HD599's. I plan on keeping them because I really do like the sound and comfort. Maybe i'll take a look at the Sennheiser HD600's but that'll be for another time. My question is mainly in regards of which DAC/AMP I can purchase for my headphones. I understand that my headphones might not even need a DAC/AMP, however, years ago I purchased a Schiit Fulla 3 and been using it and I've grown to liking it in general and just mainly having it connected. So my OCD might warrant me just having one lol.

I've been looking at either getting the newer Schiit Fulla E, or perhaps, will the Rodecaster Duo also serve as a more superior device to connect my headphones in? I'd love some recommendations and thanks for anyone who reads and such. <3

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 5
Rodecaster Duo is a good sound card/mixer/recorder but with limited DAC functionalities. Schiit Fulla 3 is a DAC/AMP combo but very low-end. I suggest to go a bit higher with balanced support. If you still like a DAC/AMP combo, I'm currently using Topping x Shenzhenaudio EX5, which is a versatile combo supporting AMP output or pre-amp output. You can first enjoy your HD599 with it initially. Then if you want to go much further with some phones much harder to drive, you can add a dedicate AMP to it using it as a pre-amp.

Nov 23, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 5
Rodecaster Duo is a good sound card/mixer/recorder but with limited DAC functionalities. Schiit Fulla 3 is a DAC/AMP combo but very low-end. I suggest to go a bit higher with balanced support. If you still like a DAC/AMP combo, I'm currently using Topping x Shenzhenaudio EX5, which is a versatile combo supporting AMP output or pre-amp output. You can first enjoy your HD599 with it initially. Then if you want to go much further with some phones much harder to drive, you can add a dedicate AMP to it using it as a pre-amp.
Thanks, mind linking me it? So I know the right one you're talking about. I might also explore a stacking option, if it'll provide any better audio performance.

I looked at the JDS Labs Element 3 MK2? But for $500, might be something I might not need xD. I also looked at the Atom+ stacking. About half of the Element 3 MK2. By using the Atom DAC+, and the Atom AMP+.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 5
Some where you can't go wrong:
JDS Atom amp DAC + stack
Topping L30 E30 II
Topping DX5 Lite
Schiit Heretic Modi

Any of them on a big sale is a win. I'd use any as a daily driver, and I have an audio equipment business. I'd wait for Friday and scan with Google shopping. The have a new thing, just put "shop for" before the keyword and it seems to help finding prices.

Nov 23, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks, mind linking me it? So I know the right one you're talking about. I might also explore a stacking option, if it'll provide any better audio performance.

I looked at the JDS Labs Element 3 MK2? But for $500, might be something I might not need xD. I also looked at the Atom+ stacking. About half of the Element 3 MK2. By using the Atom DAC+, and the Atom AMP+.
Link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back