Question... does this exist??
May 6, 2003 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HeadFone New-B

New Head-Fier
I would like to know if the following piece of equipment (as I can best describe it) exists:

- A splitter or wire that has dual male 3.5mm inputs which go to a single female 3.5mm output

Basically, I am trying to make 2 channels become 1. By plugging each of the singular 3.5mm inputs into 2 of the channels and then plugging the headphones into the singular 3.5mm output, the two channels should be bridged for more power, correct?

Anybody??

P.S. This is my first post in this section. Yay for me
tongue.gif

May 6, 2003 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 10
May 6, 2003 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 10
Nah... I would prefer that they were wires and not a box. But that is the general idea... Replace that box with two wire 3.5mm inputs spliced to a singular 3.5mm output and that would be exactly what I'm looking for.

Anybody??

EDIT: Basically this but in reverse. Two "plugs" and one "jack".

Anybody??

May 6, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 10
hi. first of all, MALES are output, and FEMALES are input. you got it backwards. secondly, i'm not sure that you can combine signals like that. maybe someone with some electrical knowledge can answer. splitting is easy.... but usually you don't combine signals. you're asking if you can combine 2 power amps to power 1 single speaker right?

May 6, 2003 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 10
Oh... I get it now New-B. You want a cross fader. Yeah, there's lots of those around. I have a numark POS though. So I don't know if that'll suit you.

May 7, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
hi. first of all, MALES are output, and FEMALES are input. you got it backwards. secondly, i'm not sure that you can combine signals like that. maybe someone with some electrical knowledge can answer. splitting is easy.... but usually you don't combine signals. you're asking if you can combine 2 power amps to power 1 single speaker right?

Jeez... I got a lot to learn... Actually what I'm trying to do here is combine two of the three outputs on this $15 "volume booster" from Radio Shack that I purchased in my time before I found Head-fi. I am trying to bridge two of the outputs together so that I can achieve higher power... Sound logic, right? Will this work??

Does the device I speak of exist?? Assume you had an amp with 2 outputs (the things you could plug headphones into). You take this device that I'm trying to describe and put the two plugs into the outputs on the amp, then plug your headphones into an output that resides at the end of the wires plugged into each of the outputs on the amp...

I am SOOOO bad at explaining myself.. I might have to resort to drawing a picture... Anybody get what I'm talking about???
confused.gif
confused.gif

May 7, 2003 at 6:32 AM Post #9 of 10
I think I get what you are talking about. Baisically you would take the signals of two outputs and combine them into one. So in other words

F
! !
M M
F F
Amp

Unfortunately, I don't think it will work. As far as I know (and admittedly I'm not the most experienced member here) signals don't add like that... at least not without some heavy cadjoling internal to the amp itself. (i.e. bridging the amplifiers or some such thing)

An option might be to seperate the inputs of the three amps and
wire them in series...

Someone else should be able to explain it better.

May 7, 2003 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 10
I think that this is why it wouldn't work.

________________ V+
!
!_______________ V-

Take this simple circuit connected to a voltage source. (Yes I know that the circuit wouldn't actually work, but bear with me) The voltage source produces+/- 1v. At the ! mark the potential between the voltages is 2v. Remember ground is always relative.

________________ S1
!
!_______________ S2

Now here is what would occur if audio signals collided like your merging idea suggests. Lets say S1 is at +1.02v and S2 is at +1.01v Remember, all the audio signal is is an electrical impulse so all regular rules apply to it. The potential at the ! mark... the output of the merger would not be +2.03v but instead would be .01v because that is the difference between the two signals.

I'm sure it would also do some funky stuff to the audio signal due to frequency shifts, weird impedenance shifts etc. etc. But you get the picture.

Anyone want to confirm that for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back