Question about the SXC Sennheiser cable
Dec 11, 2008 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dadozen

100+ Head-Fier
Ken,

I'm looking to get the ALO SXC Sennheiser cable in the future( not really sure when, because I'll probably need to get a SXC RCA to RCA and a SXC mini to mini from you before ) but in your website the photo shows the cable with a mini plug.

I wonder if it's possible to produce one with a nice 1/4 plug to be used directly in my stationary amp, a Meier Cantate, which only has a 1/4 output.

Another option I have is to get the cable with the mini plug and use the mini to 1/4 connector that came with my UE TF 10 Pros, that is gold plated. Do you think it would interfere somehow in the sonic characteristics? I'm assuming it won't, but I really don't understand much about those things.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Ricardo

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 8
My assumption is that they will likely be able to put a 1.4th on it.
That said I would definately take that route instead of having another adapter in the way. Whether or not the difference is perceptible I think the peace of mind it grants that your signal is unimpeded as possible is worth it.

Dave

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 8
That's my opinion as well, but in this case, if I want to use my HD650s with my portable rig, iPod + SR-71A, I'll have to use a 1/4 to mini connector, and I haven't seen a good one that doesn't have a short piece of cable between the connectors. The stock HD650's cable is like that. And that would probably ruin the idea of having an entire SXC cable since the signal would be contamined.

This is the reason why I thought about getting a cable with a mini plug since I can use the stock mini to 1/4 plug that came with my UE TF 10 Pros, that seems to be really well made.

But, again, getting a cable with a 1/4 plug would be the best choice if I weren't using it with my portable rig. Peace of mind is totally worth it.

Dec 11, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken,

I'm looking to get the ALO SXC Sennheiser cable in the future( not really sure when, because I'll probably need to get a SXC RCA to RCA and a SXC mini to mini from you before ) but in your website the photo shows the cable with a mini plug.

I wonder if it's possible to produce one with a nice 1/4 plug to be used directly in my stationary amp, a Meier Cantate, which only has a 1/4 output.

Another option I have is to get the cable with the mini plug and use the mini to 1/4 connector that came with my UE TF 10 Pros, that is gold plated. Do you think it would interfere somehow in the sonic characteristics? I'm assuming it won't, but I really don't understand much about those things.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Ricardo

Hey Dadozen,

The Sennheiser cable I make can come with either a mini or 1/4 plug, its totally up to you. I was pretty sure the description of the item at the end said this? You are welcome to use the gold Neutrik 1/4, a Cardas or Switchcraft. I like the Neutrik becuase it is not as heavy and is built well. Personally I use a Canare mini and just use a small adapter that slips over the mini plug. I do not detect at hit in SQ while doing this but do keep all contacts clean.

Hope this helps!!

Also I have been mixing the copper and silver plated ALO SXC wires to make a what I feel is a slightly more active cable. I use the silver plated wires as the ground and the copper as the signal. I have not gotten photos or this item on the website yet but wanted people to know that option is avaiable no extra charge of course.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Dec 12, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 8
ALO Audio

I'm so sorry Ken, it does make clear that it can be terminated in a mini or a 1/4 plug.

Which adapter can do you use/sell with your mini plug? Is it possible to make the cable with other mini plug other than the Canare? Like gold plated mini plugs, as the ALO SXC iPod Cable I have?

Thanks again!

Ricardo

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

ALO Audio

I'm so sorry Ken, it does make clear that it can be terminated in a mini or a 1/4 plug.

Which adapter can do you use/sell with your mini plug? Is it possible to make the cable with other mini plug other than the Canare? Like gold plated mini plugs, as the ALO SXC iPod Cable I have?

Thanks again!

Ricardo

Ricardo, no apologies needed. I thank you for the post, I think some are post timid and I welcome more posts on my forum.

Because of the thickness of the wires I am using the only mini plug larger enough to accommodate the girth of the 4 wires is a Canare F12 plug

441.jpg

The good news is the above plug is very good.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 8
Another question Ken:

If I ask for a Neutrik 1/4 plug, or a Cardas plug, will I pay for that or it's already included in the current price of the cable?

Thanks again,

Ricardo

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Another question Ken:

If I ask for a Neutrik 1/4 plug, or a Cardas plug, will I pay for that or it's already included in the current price of the cable?

Thanks again,

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

No added cost
normal_smile .gif

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back