question about Koss KSC-35 ear pads
Sep 20, 2002 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ultraviolet353

Head-Fier
Just got my ksc-35's and they are incredible. I am shocked at how great they sound. I own the UR-40's and the ksc-50's and the 35's are much better. My only problem is that the ear pad on the left can is mis-shapen and doesn't "hug" the can they way, for instance, the pads on the 50's hug the can. Is this normal? It just seems that the ear pads do not "hug" the cans tighly, and are somewhat msi-shapen. What should I do?

Sep 20, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 11
HI: radio shack sells better pads that comes with the 35 for a few bucks. If you would cut a round hole about the size of a quarter or a little smaller in the pads it would then release the mids and the highs and tame the bass.

Sep 20, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 11
I had the same problem with my recently acquired KSC-35's. The pads are quite flimsy, and my only complaint about these otherwise excellent headphones. In fact, I replaced them just today with pads I got from Radio Shack; they fit very snugly and are more durable as well.

Sep 20, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 11
What's the best source for KSC-35s? Since they're discontinued, they're getting tough to find. Any ideas?

BTW: How do the KSC-35s compare to PortaPros?

- Chris

Sep 20, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 11
eBay-mine were new and the woman I bought them from is very nice--these cans are really incredible--I keep looking at them in disbelief--they don't look like much, but they sound great. Hurry, though, because when I bid on mine last week there were a whole bunch and now only a couple. I got mine for 24.99 "out the door."

Sep 20, 2002 at 8:25 AM Post #6 of 11
yeah i also love my ksc-35's. IMO they are better sounding than my dads philips hp890's, much better bass and i dont really like the brightness of the philips, although this could be to the techno /rock music i listen to, perhaps the hp890's are more suited to the classical and jazz my dad listens to?
also i do admit that my dads headphones are only 3 days old so havent been fully broken in yet...

still i cant see how these philips headphones are worth $100US or whatever you guys get them for, considering my dad paid $120 australian, and my ksc-35's cost $75 Aus, and even at that price i dont think the philips are outstanding value.

i dont know how much some of the beyer headphones are in the US (apparently they are also good value in australia) but ppl over here say that the beyer dt531, the 770pro, the 250-80 and one person even thought the dt231 were all better sounding that the philips.

Sep 20, 2002 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by ultraviolet353
eBay-mine were new and the woman I bought them from is very nice--these cans are really incredible--I keep looking at them in disbelief--they don't look like much, but they sound great. Hurry, though, because when I bid on mine last week there were a whole bunch and now only a couple. I got mine for 24.99 "out the door."

I think we may have got it from the same person. She is so friendly & helpful. She said she wished she had more of the KSC-35 as it was selling like hot cakes! Mine is on the way. Can't wait to try them out when I'm jogging! I'll keep in mind that tweak with the ear pads. Might even try it out on my MX-400's ear pads (albeit with smaller holes
wink.gif
) as I find the sound a little veiled.

Sep 20, 2002 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 11
minya
HI: I have the koss-35 and the koss portapros. I use the portapros much more than the 35. Now I have cut round holes in both of these cans pads to let the mids and the high out and to tame the bass. When I want ultra portable use I use the koss-35s but other than that i use the portapros. They have more bass due to their fit and have a three way adjustment and I just really like the portapro but the 35 are very close to them in sound I just like the sound of the portapros better. If you liked the 35s better I would understand for both are great cans for the money.

Sep 20, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
minya
HI: I have the koss-35 and the koss portapros. I use the portapros much more than the 35. Now I have cut round holes in both of these cans pads to let the mids and the high out and to tame the bass. When I want ultra portable use I use the koss-35s but other than that i use the portapros. They have more bass due to their fit and have a three way adjustment and I just really like the portapro but the 35 are very close to them in sound I just like the sound of the portapros better. If you liked the 35s better I would understand for both are great cans for the money.

Hmm, interesting. I too love my PortaPros, and though I don't have the 35's yet I'm hoping to get a pair. (Anyone have one for sale?
smily_headphones1.gif
) I think it would come in handy to have both, since they'd be useful for different situations.. i.e. the 35's for bikeriding and such. Thanks for the info though.

- Chris

Sep 20, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by ultraviolet353
are the Porta Pros comfortable? Are you able to say lie down on a sofa and listen to music without the headset getting in the way?

Very much so. The more I've used them, the more "flexible" the metal band has gotten, and they stay on my head firmly but not so firm that it hurts.

You might even be able to lie on a bed sideways with them on... I'll have to try that.
wink.gif

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back