Question about acoustics (left as right, right as left)
Sep 4, 2008 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kaldaim

100+ Head-Fier
I can't think of a good reason for there to be a problem with this but I know a lot less than a lot of people here so I figured I'd ask.

I am interested in buying new speakers for my computer and I've been eyeballing the Audioengine A5's ( Audioengine 5 Speaker System ).

The issue I have with them is that the built-in amp (and thus the power, aux in and sub out) is on the left speaker. Because of the way my curved desk is situated, it would hide a lot of cord clutter if the amp was on the right speaker instead.

So the question is, would switching the placement of the speakers, as well as making a custom mini-mini cable with re-routed left and right channels, create any acoustic problems? That is, is there anything about the right speaker that makes it a right speaker? The picture shows a slight difference in the tweeter positioning for each but I'm wondering if this will be audibly noticeable. The speakers will be about 3 feet back from my sitting position.

If anyone could reply with some thoughts I would appreciate it.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 2
Edit: misunderstood question. Generally you can swap left and right speakers without any difference at all. There's nothing in the right speaker that makes it a "right" speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back