Question About 5.1 Setup
Jan 17, 2020 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Glacial

New Head-Fier
For years I have used Logitech Z-5500D and don't have experience with any other 5.1 setup.

Few days ago I got a chance to buy my neighbor's old 5.1 setup that use Onkyo TX-NR636 AVR. I set everything up and connect the onboard sound card from my PC to the AVR using optical cable. I set the AVR to Dolby Surround and then tested its sound using 5.1 audio files from the net.

One thing baffled me. When the sound test rang the Left (/Right) Front speaker, the Left (/Right) Surround also rang. When the sound test come to Left (/Right) Surround, the Left (/Right) Front also rang at the same time. Shouldn't the Left Surround silent when the Left Front rang, and Left Front silent when Left Surround rang? Is there something wrong with my setup? Or this is how 'real' 5.1 supposed to be? I tried several audio files but this problem persist.

This makes me hard to point the sound origin when playing games. With my old Z-5500D, gunshots distinctly come from surround speaker (and not front speaker simultaneously) when I'm being shot from behind.

Thx.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 6
In order for your computer (built in sound card) to send 5.1 (6-channels), of digital audio, using S/PDIF (optical or coaxial).
The computer (or sound card) needs to use DDL (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS-Connect software.
Otherwise you can only send 2-channels (stereo audio) of digital audio thru optical or coaxial.
An Asus Xonar DSX sound card comes with DTS-Connect.

Another option is to run HDMI cable from the PC to the TX-NR636, then run an HDMI cable from the NR636 to your computer screen.
HDMI can carry up to 8-channels (7.1) of digital audio, no need for DDL or DTS-Connect.

Jan 18, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 6
In order for your computer (built in sound card) to send 5.1 (6-channels), of digital audio, using S/PDIF (optical or coaxial).
The computer (or sound card) needs to use DDL (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS-Connect software.
Otherwise you can only send 2-channels (stereo audio) of digital audio thru optical or coaxial.
An Asus Xonar DSX sound card comes with DTS-Connect.

Another option is to run HDMI cable from the PC to the TX-NR636, then run an HDMI cable from the NR636 to your computer screen.
HDMI can carry up to 8-channels (7.1) of digital audio, no need for DDL or DTS-Connect.

Ahh, so there's where I went wrong. Thank you for the explanation.

EDIT: sorry, I've just tried my AVR connected to SPDIF from my Asus D2X and set the DDL setting (before this I use the D2X for my headphone, and the AVR optical cable connected to the motherboard). It's true that the surround effect become much more pronounced. However, when I test Left Surround, my Left Front still leaking sound a little. Is this normal?

Thx.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 6
EDIT: sorry, I've just tried my AVR connected to SPDIF from my Asus D2X and set the DDL setting (before this I use the D2X for my headphone, and the AVR optical cable connected to the motherboard). It's true that the surround effect become much more pronounced. However, when I test Left Surround, my Left Front still leaking sound a little. Is this normal?

Thx.

Can anyone please help me? Is it normal for the Front speaker to sound a little when the sound supposed come from behind? Some kind of environmental effect maybe?

Out of 2 alternatives given by PurpleAngel on his post, I try to not using HDMI route since the HDMI passthrough is limited to 60 Hz refresh rate while my monitor is 120 Hz. And if I use 2 HDMI cables (one for monitor and one for audio only to AVR; I use DP for the monitor, btw), this will make my GPU, AFAIK, can't lower its power consumption when idle. This extra power consumption I'm afraid will shorten my GPU life.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 6
OP, the AVR might be set right now to output stereo from all channels. Read manual and re-set to 5.1.

Feb 16, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 6
Can anyone please help me? Is it normal for the Front speaker to sound a little when the sound supposed come from behind? Some kind of environmental effect maybe?

Out of 2 alternatives given by PurpleAngel on his post, I try to not using HDMI route since the HDMI passthrough is limited to 60 Hz refresh rate while my monitor is 120 Hz. And if I use 2 HDMI cables (one for monitor and one for audio only to AVR; I use DP for the monitor, btw), this will make my GPU, AFAIK, can't lower its power consumption when idle. This extra power consumption I'm afraid will shorten my GPU life.
Ok, so using an HDMI cable from PC to Onkyo is not really something you can use.
If you have not already, disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS.
Try the Unified Xonar Drivers.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back