Quality Headphone for gaming/music/movies
Oct 28, 2014 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JesseG25

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

So at the moment I am looking to upgrade my current headset and before forking out 100's of dollars on the A40's, I thought I should read up on them first and not just take the word of a youtuber, I am so happy I did. Right now, I have the Sony 7.1 wireless headset, picked it up for about 25$, couldn't complain it was okay served its purpose but the battery doesn't last as long anymore...So now I am looking for something relatively good, this is what they will be used for :

Gaming - (FPS/RPG) - 30% of the time
Music - Dubstep, Hip Hop, Rock - 30% of the time
Movies - 40% of the time

I am currently looking at the Senn HD598 as its the most easily available HP in my country, my buddy has the Fiio E11K and is going to give it to me, YAY....
Initially I wanted the Fidelio X1 but cannot locate it in my country, and to ship+taxes makes it unaffordable right now, same with any of the Audio Technica's, the AKG K612 Pro is available here but I read that an amp should be used with it, more preferably a tube amp...

Any advice/recommendations?

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 11
The HD598 is a good option and all-rounder, it'll be a good match for the E11K. If possibilities are limited due to your location, it's hard to suggest any others.

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 11
Movies? Gaming? The HD 598 may be too laid back for you.

Get the AKG K612 Pro, or get a pair of Grados. The Grado SR80 has a warm sound which is really good with guitars and if you can go for one of the higher end grados, then go for it.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 11
Oct 28, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 11
I am currently looking at the Senn HD598 as its the most easily available HP in my country, my buddy has the Fiio E11K and is going to give it to me, YAY.... Initially I wanted the Fidelio X1 but cannot locate it in my country, and to ship+taxes makes it unaffordable right now, same with any of the Audio Technica's, the AKG K612 Pro is available here but I read that an amp should be used with it, more preferably a tube amp...
Any advice/recommendations?

Using a tube amp with the K612 Pro sounds like a good match.
But the FiiO E11K should easily be able to drive the 120-Ohm K612 Pro.
My E11 could easily drive my 250-Ohm Beyers and the newer E11K is more powerful then the older E11.

Also if you get the Senn HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558, it will sound somewhat more like the HD598.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 11
Hello altogether,

I'm in the same position like jesseG25. I also looking for a new headphone. Because i will use it for almost the same things i thought i catch up at this thread.
Maybe you already noticed, that English isn't my mother tongue so please apologize spelling mistakes or anything like that
confused_face(1).gif
I read a lot in Mad Lust Envys threat and on other sites, but instead of getting clearer what i want/need i got more and more confused, that is why i decided to post here.

As mentioned before i will use them for almost the same:
Gaming - (FPS) - 50%
Music - Hip Hop - 20% (that will maybe change with better headphones, although i think Hip Hop isn't a genre which benefits as much as some others)
Movies - 30%

I will use the headphone for PC and my PS4.

Today i have a ASRoc Z87 Extreme 9 AC with Realtek ALC1150 Audio Codec, Astro MixAmp with A40. When i read about these i thought they would be really nice because i only found positive reviews... until i bought them and had some issues with powering the MixAmp... I also didn't really hear the 3D sound I'm also not sure if it's even possible with my set-up to get the 3D sound. But i also don't like how they sound.

So when i start searching for a new headset i learned that it is better to look for a good headphone+mic so i do that. First thing I found was Sennheiser HD598/HD558 or DT990/880 or AKG K701. I don't know why but i preferred the HD598 (one point was that i like the shape). But then i read something about the Philips Fidelio X1 and though "hmm they seem to be really nice and have a little bit more bass what i think would be nice for music and movies". Then i saw there are already the X2 available and i read a review about them and thought sound like the X1 just slightly better so lets get these. But i made a mistake and read even more and how good other headphones are for competitive gaming. And i am back at the start and don't know what i should take. Also i know i am not a pro gamer i like the thought that i know at least the enemy couldn't have an advantage of sound and i am really that bad at aiming :wink:.

So long story short i have a few questions i hope someone can answer me:
  1. I read that it isn't necessary to have something like Dolby Headphone if you have a good headphone (it makes it even sound worse and not positioning). Is that right? (I think because Mad Lust Envy use Dolby Headphone it can't be right
    blink.gif
    )
  2. Mad Lust Envy gives the X1 a 8/10 rating for Competitive (I assume that the X2 won't be worse, at least I hope so) . What I now want to know is how much is how much "advantage" does someone have if he had a headphone with a rating of 10/10. Is it really worth it to go with a headset which is has weaknesses in other areas like bass? Or is the difference only measurable for pro gamers/audiophile people (I think till know i can't hear differences but i also never tried good headphones or something else).
  3. Has anyone experience with the X2 and gaming? I didn't find anything.
  4. If it would be the X2 what do I need else. A really good and expensive sound card or just something like a Xonar DGX with MixAmp or an other DAC/AMP or just the Xonar DGX will do it or maybe my on board?
  5. Did my MixAmp is enough for PS4?
  6. Or do i need 2 months vacation a lot of money and try every thing out :wink:

I hope someone could help me.
Thanks to all already helped me by write nice reviews in this forum.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 11
Hi SilentMarve,

My thoughts on the competitive rating from Mad Lust Envy is that the difference between 8 and 10 can't really be that big....
I have decided to go with the Fidelio X1 as it will fulfill all my needs and gaming isn't really a huge part of my life, I play games for fun and not competitively.....
I am a bass head so to speak, I would enjoy the extra oomph.....
Personally you shouldn't worry too much about the gaming aspect of things, 8 out of 10 is good, it's still an "A" right?
I don't have the cash to keep upgrading my headphones every year, so I picked the best one that would suit my needs and that I can live with it for the next few years....
I think you should do the same....

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 11

Using a tube amp with the K612 Pro sounds like a good match.
But the FiiO E11K should easily be able to drive the 120-Ohm K612 Pro.
My E11 could easily drive my 250-Ohm Beyers and the newer E11K is more powerful then the older E11.

Also if you get the Senn HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558, it will sound somewhat more like the HD598.

Thank you for your reply, I do appreciate it....
Will definately keep this in mind next time I upgrade....

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 11
Hi all, thought I would update this since the plan has changed, the X1 that I supposed to get got cancelled dues to it being out of stock, I can get it from someone else but it will cost me around $400 with shipping and import duties, so that's a no no....decided to go with AKG K612 pro which would cost $270 locally, ideally I would want the pads of the K712 on the K612 cause the K712 pads looks a lot deeper and I feel that me ears may end up touching the driver somewhat on the K612, ordered the astro mixamp and getting the E11K soon...so good to go for now....any one know where I can purchase the pads for the K712?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back