Quality headphone extension cables
Jan 7, 2022 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

larsv

New Head-Fier
Good day all,

Yes, I know, again a topic on extension leads.
Looking for something 3 to 4 meters, 6.3mm connectors (only have unbalanced amps atm).
I’m not saying cables don’t influence sound quality but I sure can appreciate well made cables: quality materials, ergonomics, looks, the theory behind it etc.
  • Shielding: no real advantage I presume (compared to line-level RCA etc.)?
  • Capacitance and inductance: very few companies state these numbers. Would they even matter at this length?
  • Plugs: quality matters (durability, I doubt it matters a lot for sound quality).
  • Microphonics: as low as possible, quite important when used on the couch. Don't want to have annoying sounds every time I reposition myself.
Headphones currently in use: DCA Aeon 2 Noire (13 ohm impedance, what's the effect of a cable on this?), Beyerdynamic T1

Options I found so far, here in EU

Grado: No specs whatsoever to be found on this. Molded connectors, relatively slim (especially compared to the female Neutrik).
  • Grado 4 conductor: 4,5m / 50 euro
  • Grado 12 conductor: 3,6m / 80 euro

Mogami cable, Neutrik plugs
https://www.audiocables.eu/collections/extension-cables
  • 2549 link
  • 2534 (Neglex Quad) Read that these can have roll-off on the higher frequencies. link
  • 2791 link Flex life seriously higher, but for home environment it won’t matter too much

Other cables, Neutrik Plugs

Van Den Hul Fleximic https://www.dienadel.de/van-den-hul-fleximic-high-end-63-kopfhaeoererverlaeaengerung/a-353628607
Sommer Cable Aqua Blue https://www.dienadel.de/sommer-cable-aqua-blue-kopfhaeoererverlaeaengerung-highlight/a-353634133

Pay (a lot) more for a handmade Forza (Noir):
  • Will win on looks (planning on buying a headphone cable anyway)
  • Ergonomics and microphonics?

Am I overthinking this? Probably, but that’s half the fun.

What would you do? Other options I didn’t consider yet?

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 9
Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 9
I have a Grado extension cable, (4 conductor), and whilst it seemed nice quality, the female connector failed after not a lot of use. The spring inside broke. Maybe cheap is the way to go, but can they guarantee no loss in sound quality?

Jan 7, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 9
I don't know for sure.
But the Cordial is built like a tank, that could break your floor tiles. ^^

Haven't tested the possibility of frequency drops by now.
Will give it a shot on a comparison to my Noir Hybrid with adapter.

Jan 7, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 9
I have the Grado extension. Almost 2 years of abuse and it looks and function like new. Sound wise, it's transparent enough for me (I can't hear any diference with or without it).

Jan 9, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 9
I have been using a Sonic horizons extension cable for over 20 years do a search great quality
HCm audio

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #8 of 9
Good day all,

Yes, I know, again a topic on extension leads.
Looking for something 3 to 4 meters, 6.3mm connectors (only have unbalanced amps atm).
I’m not saying cables don’t influence sound quality but I sure can appreciate well made cables: quality materials, ergonomics, looks, the theory behind it etc.
  • Shielding: no real advantage I presume (compared to line-level RCA etc.)?
  • Capacitance and inductance: very few companies state these numbers. Would they even matter at this length?
  • Plugs: quality matters (durability, I doubt it matters a lot for sound quality).
  • Microphonics: as low as possible, quite important when used on the couch. Don't want to have annoying sounds every time I reposition myself.
Headphones currently in use: DCA Aeon 2 Noire (13 ohm impedance, what's the effect of a cable on this?), Beyerdynamic T1

Options I found so far, here in EU https://tocaboca.app/toca-life-vacation-mod-apk/

Grado: No specs whatsoever to be found on this. Molded connectors, relatively slim (especially compared to the female Neutrik).
  • Grado 4 conductor: 4,5m / 50 euro
  • Grado 12 conductor: 3,6m / 80 euro

Mogami cable, Neutrik plugs
https://www.audiocables.eu/collections/extension-cables
  • 2549 link
  • 2534 (Neglex Quad) Read that these can have roll-off on the higher frequencies. link
  • 2791 link Flex life seriously higher, but for home environment it won’t matter too much

Other cables, Neutrik Plugs

Van Den Hul Fleximic
Sommer Cable Aqua Blue

Pay (a lot) more for a handmade Forza (Noir):
  • Will win on looks (planning on buying a headphone cable anyway)
  • Ergonomics and microphonics?

Am I overthinking this? Probably, but that’s half the fun.

What would you do? Other options I didn’t consider yet?
This seems to me to be a fairly simple thing, but I can't seem to find a quality 10-15' extension cable for my headphones to my AV receiver. Headphones are Sony 7506, will use to hear the audio silently when watching tv if my wife is working in the same room. The receiver plug is 1/4" and the headphones are also 1/4". Actually 1/8" with a 1/8 to 1/4 adaptor.

Does anyone have some brand recommendations?

Feb 2, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 9
This seems to me to be a fairly simple thing, but I can't seem to find a quality 10-15' extension cable for my headphones to my AV receiver. Headphones are Sony 7506, will use to hear the audio silently when watching tv if my wife is working in the same room. The receiver plug is 1/4" and the headphones are also 1/4". Actually 1/8" with a 1/8 to 1/4 adaptor.

Does anyone have some brand recommendations?
I got the Grado X series extension cables. I use ZMF grand palladium cables for my headphones. The quality is such that I could hear the difference in sound quality using them compare to my other cables but that sucker is over 500 USD for 6 feet.

I hooked it to my Grado X series extension and found there was no degradation in sound quality at all. The Grado cable is thick and can handle a good beating. It also isolated the sound well even when other power cables go over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back