"Quality" Burn-in? Better sounding cans if burned in w/ better sounding equipment?
Apr 19, 2002 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

The Quality Guru

Blah! he says.
To be totally honest, I have been reluctant to let my ATH-W100's break in because I am worried that cans burned-in from better equipment will sound better in the end (and I don't, at this point, have wonderful equipment for these headphones). What I mean is: Would ATH-W100's that were burned-in with an earmax pro (versus plugging them into the radio) result in better sound in the end?

Or is it just a matter of 'loosening up' the drivers inside the earcups and not a matter of how they were loosened up, and the aforementioned concept is not true?

(BTW, I posted this as a reply to somebody's thread once, but I wanted to make it a thread of its own, because I think it would be inportant info for everybody).

Thanks for any sort of help or suggestions!

Regards, Luke
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2002 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 8
Equipment used for breaking in your cans will not make a difference, so don't worry, just let them break in and ENJOY!

Quote:

Or is it just a matter of 'loosening up' the drivers inside the earcups and not a matter of how they were loosened up, and the aforementioned concept is not true?

That's most of the break in phenom for headphones.

Have fun!

Apr 19, 2002 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 8
Did you know that if you hit your headphones w/ a sledgehammer, they will break-in almost instantly? But that method probably won't sound as good as letting them burn-in in a cast-iron frying pan on the stove. Keep heat at simmer for the best sound, good things take time.
tongue.gif

In all seriousness, don't worry about the associated equipment used for burn-in, it's not a big deal.

Apr 20, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 8
Just use 'em. as long as you get 20hz-20kz responses in there, they'll break in fine. My Sennheisers broke in again once I got them properly amped... that was strange.

Nick- nice one.

Apr 21, 2002 at 6:36 AM Post #6 of 8
Do a search on the forums. It's past my bedtime, otherwise I would find it myself, but the thread is similarly titled. I posted a CD that does seem to make a difference. On, otherwise, the exact same equipment. So the extrapolation of this has got to be that the burn-in would make a difference, too, though I have to admit, I've never heard a difference. Perhaps distortion would be bad, burning "out" a driver element in one way, while burning in in the proper way...?

Apr 21, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 8
I wouldn't imagine so.

Apr 22, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks, all. I can now listen without 'bad burn in paranoia!' Yay!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back