ps4 headset recomendation
Dec 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ron82nd

New Head-Fier
So I just bought the astro a40 headset and must say I am very dissatisfied. The biggest issue is that quite frankly it does not get loud enough for my taste. My question is what headset would be a great fit around $250? Some options I have been looking at are Beyerdynamics dt990 and akg q701's. I am looking at possibly keeping the mix amp however what about using the creative sound z card would that be a better option? To be frank I want detailed headphones with bass that you can feel and ones that will hurt if turned up too loud.Please help thanks guys.

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Does not get loud enough = something is wrong with how you're connecting it to the PS4. Clearly something wrong there. The A40s (like any and every headphone worth 2 cents) can get loud enough to blow your eardrums. What matters is what you're hooking them up to, what settings you're using, and making sure something down the line isn't messing with the volume.

Did you buy JUST the headset? If so, I'm assuming you're connecting it directly to the PS4 controller. News flash: the controller's audio out is INCREDIBLY weak. The A40s are pretty sensitive, and yet I I could definitely still see volume being an issue if you hook them up to the controller's headphone jack. Any headphone for that matter. I use the super sensitive MA900, and it's barely moderate out of the PS4's controller audio jack. In this case, you'd need an amplifier to hook up between the headphone and the audio jack (though that's cumbersome as is).

In this case: blame the controller, not the A40s.

If you have the Mixamp with the A40s, setting balancing out the master volume with the game/voice volume is incredibly important. Too much on the voice side, will mean NO headphone will get loud. Setting it heavily on the game side, will give you enough volume and then some.

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 5
Yes I just bought the a40's a couple days ago. I have optical ran from ps4 to mix amp and  the headphone wire is ran from amp to headphones directly with nothing on controller. Sure it's loud but not by my standards I guess and let alone it has a very hollow sound I feel. I am not a die hard audiophile however I do appreciate the finer things hence my theater room and car lol.

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 5
Did you set the game/voice knob to game completely?

If you want it louder, then you must have badly damaged ears.

Loudness =/= clarity. Loudness is volume. Volume should be more than extreme on the A40s if you adjust your settings properly. Now if you're just unhappy with the A40's sound quality, that's more understandable than the A40 not getting loud enough.

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 5
Did you set the game/voice knob to game completely?

If you want it louder, then you must have badly damaged ears.

Loudness =/= clarity. Loudness is volume. Volume should be more than extreme on the A40s if you adjust your settings properly. Now if you're just unhappy with the A40's sound quality, that's more understandable than the A40 not getting loud enough.

I have adjusted the chat/game volume many times. I have tried all the way, half and so on and still no positive outcome. I believe I will just end up being happy if I look into other options.

I do have damaged ears from the service however my wife even states it doesn't get that loud. I know one issue is the fact that the playstation volume in the setting does not allow you to store it to 100 percent it drops to 50 as soon as you leave.

On a side note I have owned many speakers such as definitive technology, bowers, Kef, with other high end supporting equipment in my time however I do not consider myself an audiophile.

I appreciate the help however after researching further I am just going to get a sound card if I do not keep the mix amp and get a pair like the hd650 or maybe the older dt990 possibly. I will have to decide soon what to do with 500?hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back