Ps4 and PC audio
Jan 27, 2015 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hypertrophy

New Head-Fier
So I've been on the hunt for ages now (pretty much since the Ps4 came out) for my optimal audio experience. Currently I run an optical cable from my Ps4 to my Fiio e17 which does all the DAC and amp work. Happy with that. But I stream a bunch of audio books and live streams etc.. via my computer speakers which, because of my closed earphones means, I cannot listen to an audio book and play around on my ps4 simultaneously. Now i could insert an earphone in each ear or a headphone over the top but that's just not practical. My research led me to all sorts of professional dj equipment with way to many xlr jacks for my liking. Then I found the astro "crowd', of which some believe that their headset's can outclass headphones, haha good joke. So i went ahead and purchased the astro mixamp tx (the transmitter from the new a50) which upon arrival, turns on but hasn't output any sound whatsoever. I choose that piece of trash because it had that oh so important optical pass-thru. I would post a pic of I/O but ya know 2nd post and all... Anyway, from left to right it has; Aux - input, Pwr - mini usb (also used for chat somehow, I probably would know if the darn thing worked), Opt - Output, Opt - Input and full size usb for charging the crappy headset :wink: I'll continue to update firmware and rearrange cables etc... But it looks like that was a wasted $100. The other option was a Turtle Beach DSS2 which, if I remember correctly, doesn't output digitally but can mix my computer and Ps4 audio. So I guess that's the next thing to try. Would love to know of anyone else's experiences and/or setups. 

TL;DR
I want to mix my Pc and Ps4 audio digitally so that my beloved Fiio e17 can do all the DAC work. Any Ideas?

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 7
So you are trying to mix in the audio from your books and PS4 into your headphones?

I use an Astro MixAmp Pro(wired) and a JDS Labs 02 amp. It works absolutely perfect. Just plug your music output into one of the inputs on the right or left of the front of the MixAmp.

Heres how its wired:
PS4 opt. out to MixAmp opt. in.
"Y" cable(headset/mic) out from MixAmp output on front.
Audio out from "Y" cable feeds the 02 amp.
02 amp powers Beyer DT990s(for now).
Mic in from "Y" is attached to Antlion ModMic
USB from MixAmp to PS4
Use a cable from your audio books source to the inputs on front of Mixamp.

Make sure to set PS4 to Optical out and Dolby Digital. Audio devices set output to headphones to "chat audio".

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 7
Unless you/someone can hack/mod the Fiio hardware/software to make usb/pc and optical/ps4 to work/sound at the same time, than no way.

Sofar the Creative Recon3D-USB and X7 can even play Dolby Digital 5.1/PCM optical-in/analog audio and as USB DAC/PC audio mixed together at the same time. (I use/test it with the standalone Recon3D-USB/PC and PS3, works fine)

There's big discount for the Recon3D Headset, however out of stock at the moment:
http://us.creative.com/p/gaming-headsets/sound-blaster-recon3d-omega-wireless
$149.99
pdt_20893.png.ashx

-Another way could be, mix the analog audio's together with an audio mixer:
http://www.google.com/search?q=audio+mixer

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the replies;
Canthearyou,Yes. All I want is to mix two digital signals and have my e17 convert them for me. I looked at that mixamp but the output from it is an analog signal which means that the mixamp is actually doing the DAC. That's why I got the a50 wireless tx one because it has the usb and optical input AND the optical output - exactly what I needed but I cannot get it to work for some reason. Your setup looks lovely btw, I've got the modmic as well and wanted the ODAC but couldn't get it shipped to Australia. 
cdsa35000, Yeah that would be have been perfect but sadly the thing only does one at a time :frowning2: I've seen that during my research but read somewhere that I would have to use the headset provided which obviously isn't practical and the audio mixer route gets a bit complex, I've found a Behringer x302 usb mixer that looks ok but again it's an analog mixer except for the usb pass thru.

I seriously don't understand why I'm having such a difficult time with this, how is there not a mixer with two optical inputs and an optical output that plays the two signals simultaneously. Doesn't even HAVE to be optical, just digital. i really don't want to buy a new DAC but I might have to in order to solve this. Another option could be to buy a cheap A/V receiver off of ebay and then route all of my cables through one of those beasts but do they even output digitally? Lordy this is difficult, haha. I'm slightly surprised that know one else is in my position. 

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the replies;
Canthearyou,Yes. All I want is to mix two digital signals and have my e17 convert them for me. I looked at that mixamp but the output from it is an analog signal which means that the mixamp is actually doing the DAC. That's why I got the a50 wireless tx one because it has the usb and optical input AND the optical output - exactly what I needed but I cannot get it to work for some reason. Your setup looks lovely btw, I've got the modmic as well and wanted the ODAC but couldn't get it shipped to Australia. 
cdsa35000, Yeah that would be have been perfect but sadly the thing only does one at a time :frowning2: I've seen that during my research but read somewhere that I would have to use the headset provided which obviously isn't practical and the audio mixer route gets a bit complex, I've found a Behringer x302 usb mixer that looks ok but again it's an analog mixer except for the usb pass thru.

I seriously don't understand why I'm having such a difficult time with this, how is there not a mixer with two optical inputs and an optical output that plays the two signals simultaneously. Doesn't even HAVE to be optical, just digital. i really don't want to buy a new DAC but I might have to in order to solve this. Another option could be to buy a cheap A/V receiver off of ebay and then route all of my cables through one of those beasts but do they even output digitally? Lordy this is difficult, haha. I'm slightly surprised that know one else is in my position. 

If you're not satisfied with the Mixamp, return that thing.
Mixamp don't have USB-DAC only the OPTical IN-DAC and the analog Aux In-ADC and the OPT-OUT works only when the big USB Charging port is also connected to another PC USB port for the extra power needed!
OPT-OUT: Optical Out Pass through, use this input to connect
your home theater system.
OPT IN: Use this input to connect the Optical Cable from TV, PC,
or console
USB: USB: Insert the USB Charging Cable into this socket, and
attach the other end to the port on your A50s when not in use.
This port is also utilized when updating to the latest firmware
and
is also needed to power Optical Passthrough.

And the OPT-OUT Pass through only what comes in from the OPT-IN.
You can try connect the PC analog audio out into Mixamp AUX in and hear if they will be mixed together with the PS4 in OPT-IN.
http://forums.astrogaming.com/index.php?threads/connect-a50s-simultaneously-to-pc-and-ps4.78352/
You could do what I do and use the 3.5mm in (Aux/MP3) to get sound from your computer while your optical is connected to your console. You won't get surround from it (unless your soundcard can simulate it), but other than that it works great.

----
Its possible that the Recon3D-wireless headset don't mix, but I use the Recon3Dusb wired analog HP output that will mix the PC USB Soundcard/DAC audio and PS3/console (DD5.1) Optical/(Aux/analog) DAC audio together simultaneously to analog HP/Line-out audio.
Its implement in their firmware:
Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Firmware 12.08.08 Fixes:
- Input Monitoring - allows the user to listen to the audio input from either Microphone or Auxiliary

This download contains an updated firmware for Sound Blaster Recon3D Series. This download supports and is applicable for the following bundle:
- Sound Blaster Recon3D
- Sound Blaster Recon3D Omega Wireless

---
There isn't a common device that will mix multiple digital audio channels together with Optical-IN into 1 Optical output simultaneously within 1 same device!
Other than using true digital mixers or using PC (DAW/audio monitoring/mixing software) with Optical-in(SPDIF) USB sound cards.

http://www.google.com/search?q=digital+audio+mixer

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 7
Forgive me, but why must your e17 convert podcasts? It's an e17, and they're podcasts, both lower end quality outputting to your ps4 distracted brain.

I know Yamaha Receivers don't generally do digital out btw.

Cheap mixer will do the job. Or just upgrade to some better headphones which are open? No money wasted, no extra cables and a shiny new set of phones.
Win win?

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks so much for your help cdsa, and I did get a refund for the faulty mixamp. I ended up getting that usb sound card you posted a picture of, it's cheap and nasty solution that works absolutely perfect!

Eskimo, you certainly raise some valid points however funds for a new open set of cans need to be saved atm :p I did look at some cheap mixers but ended on that external (usb) Soundcard cdsa posted which does excatly everything I wanted. Although, I have been introduced into the realm of soundcards now and the Creativ Blaster X7 looks mighty lovely...

Again thankyou for all your help, it was very much appreciated. Now I'll continue on with my fixation for bigger and better audio equipment. Maybe a set of speakers next xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back