Pros and Cons of Tube Headphone Amp
Jul 27, 2001 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

grrr223

All I want for Christmas is Radio Shack Cat.#910-4380
I own the HD600 and I'm looking to buy an amp. So far I've been considering the Creek and maybe the Grado RA-1 or just a TA, but since there are some tube amps that aren't much more expensive than these models, and i've heard such good things about combos such as the X-Cans/HD600s, I started thinking about it. The only thin is....

I have NO experience with tubes at all,

and I'm just curious about the kinds of things that are involved in owning a tube amplifier. I live in a fraternity in a room with 3 (maybe 4 depending on how well rush goes) other people and I'm assuming it would be a bad idea to go the tube route. But I guess I'm just asking in general how much effort is involved in getting the best sound from a tube headphone amp as far as finding the right tubes, replacing them, tube rolling (I don't even know what that is), etc...

Jul 27, 2001 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 8
Well, tube amps really aren't much of a hassle if you don't have to worry about them being destroyed. Tube rolling is when you replace certain tubes with other ones to tweak the sound of your amp, and is not required. If you run a tube amp non-stop all day long, they'll last about 2 years (I think) before you have to replace the tubes.

The problem with tubes in a frat-house is that tubes don't like having BEER spilt on them. I don't think that tubes would be a good idea because of that, and also because the school where you go will probably have geeks trying to make computers with your tubes. (hehehe)

Solid-state equipment is generally more heavy-duty and won't be broken so easily -- that's why I got myself a Creek 5250 integrated amp to use in my dorm room. But the Grado RA-1 is made of wood and wouldn't react so well to liquids being spilt on it. The Total Airhead just doesn't sound so great (although it is pretty cheap) -- I'd suggest you go ALL OUT and get a Sugden Headmaster
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2001 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 8
Tubes are great! The only thing now is I have too many tubes sitting around and I don't know what belongs to what. Time to take inventory this weekend and try to find some boxes to put them in.
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2001 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 8
HA HA, thanks for the suggestion, but it may be a while before that happens, although if my parents continue to hold my DVD player hostage putting any of my speaker/home theater purchases on hold, I may just end up spending all my money on a headphone system, then I would have a very tough decision to make every time I wanted to listen to music or watch movies.

Jul 27, 2001 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 8
Tube eqipment is generally more fragile than SS but just generally. It all depends on the package. Amps like MG head with tubes exposed look nice IMO but are not suitable for environments like yours. Others like X-Can have tubes well protected, you have to drop the thing to get it broken.
Concerning mentenance etc. it is not that difficult. If you don't want to tweak the sound exchanging tubes should be done once every 1 to 3 years, depending on how much you use the unit and whether you leave it on all the time or not. This is providing that the tubes you get are functioning properly. I remember my first bass guitar amp was tube powered and I had to exchange one of the tubes two times during the first year but then the third one lasted for nearly 4 years, it all depends. I think many of the new tubes are low quality, you may well be better off with NOS.
Solid state is more convinient in this respect, opamps and transistors nowadays have much lower failure rate than tubes ( I mean tubes made today like Sovteks, dunno about Philips though) .

Jul 28, 2001 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 8
grrr223,

I own the an MG Head. For lack of a better term I own the 2001 version. It has a upgraded removeable power cord, smooth volume pot (instead of a click-stop) and a cage that you screw to the chassis that surrounds the tubes. If you are worried about safety from your frat brothers, just make sure it's not in a high traffic area and have them sign a waiver whoever breaks it pays for it.

Tube rolling is a nice option to have. If you feel your music needs more customization, just pop in some tubes. Beware that this could also be an expensive proposition because of the trial and error factor. You definitely do not want to leave a $50-$75 (or higher) tube on the floor!

IMHO, buy the MG Head and get used to the sound of the stock tubes before you carried/rolled away. I listened for about 2-3 months averaging about 2-3 hours a day (with an initial 30 minute warm-up). The details and the bass, especially for jazz and classical is amazing compared to just listening through a portable or receiver's headpone out.

I currently have a Mullard CV4004 and a pair of Ei EL484s in the MG. This combo offers up more bass without sacrificing details or the high end. My primary phones for listening are the Senn 580 with the Clou Red cables. I recently purchased the Grado 325, but I have not listened to the Grado/MG combo to have even an initial impression.

If you can demo a tube amp and a SS amp. Whatever makes your music sound better, that's the one. Good luck!

Regards - reynman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back