PROline question...
Feb 14, 2009 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

levit8

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm not so clued up on audiophile stuff so please excuse me if I'm missing something obvious here...

I recently bought I pair of Proline 750s for (very amateur) music production purposes to replace my old AKG 240Ms. The sound itself is fantastic. The problem I'm having is with a distracting amount of 'resonance' in one of the cups at higher volumes - it becomes apparent when playing shorter louder sounds, short drum hits etc, or any sound with a very sharp decay. If I flick the outside of the cups with my nail, on the right cup the sound is muted like you would expect, but there is a considerable resonance on the other cup, and it is this same frequency that seems to ring on a little bit after a short sharp and loud sound. I thought this might be a inevitable feature of a closed-back headphone so I bought the 2500 model hoping that the open back would eliminate it: to a large extent it does, but there is still a discrepancy between the 'percussive ring' of each cup - and I'm still noticing one resonating when playing certain sounds; there is still a noticeable 'tail' on sounds with a sharp decay.
confused_face_2.gif

Its MUCH better on the 2500 but still quite noticeable - most annoying as if I press down on the resonating cup with my finger the sound pretty much disappears. It seems a very simple problem, I was wondering if there are any mods anyone could suggest? I think I'm going to keep the open backed model as obviously I need as few artifacts as possible when monitoring - and the bass on these models is perfect for the stuff I'm trying do at the moment. It almost seems that even just a bit of cotton wool or blu-tack or something inside the can might stop the resonance? I don't know.

Any help would be very very much appreciated!

Yours

J
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 4
I openned the cups and inserted one round cotton cosmetic pad into each ear cup. They are about 3" round and about 1/4" thick. This seems to have eliminated the resonance and smoothed the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back