problem with modded sonica
Sep 1, 2004 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pandasonic

100+ Head-Fier
recently, i've been having a problem with my modded sonica. when i slide the windows volume slider to max, there's static when the song gets to certain high frequency notes. when i slide the windows slider down to about half, the static is gone. it sort of sounds like blown out drivers on the headphones, but since the it disappears when i slide the volume down, i don't think it is. i'm maintaing the relative same loudness by using the volume knob on the cmoy btw, the problem is gone even when the volume is high on the cmoy. the windows volume control is a different story.

i have it connected to a cmoy which is connected to my 7506/V6. i can't think of any reason why it would do this, it's been about a week since i put the black gate caps in and i've always had the volume slider at max. the problem just showed up today.

the only mishap that i can think was when i accidentally unplugged my sonica from the usb port to make space for my printer and then plugged it back while my cmoy was on. this produced a large surge in volume that made me tear off my headphones for fear of damaging my hearing. i stopped the track, turned the cmoy off and then back on. that was days ago however.

i'm using foobar2k set at 24bit, no dithering, through direct sound 2.0

Sep 1, 2004 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 3
ok, so I've tried a few different scenarios:

1) I plugged the Sonica to my reciever through the digital out. no problems at all.

2) Sonica line-out directly to headphones, lots of static at anything larger than 1/4 on the windows volume control (but this was expected, I'm guessing this is clipping)

3) Laptop line-out to Cmoy, horrible static at all volumes.

4) Laptop line-out directly to headphones, no problems.

Original) Sonica line-out to Cmoy to headphones, static at anything larger than 50% on windows volume control.

I am guessing this might be the most basic of all problems....replace the damn batteries on the Cmoy -_-' I'm guessing my Cmoy is cilpping due to the low-charge on the battery. But why am I able to drive it when the windows control is low? I'm not sure, I wish I had my multimeter on me. What's the average runtime for a single 9v batter on a cmoy with a gain of 4.

Sep 1, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 3
You might try the battery. I have new portable PIMETA and I put in a cheap battery. After listening a lot over the weekend all of a sudden I would get weird static problems. I turned the unit on and off, it went away and returned a minute or so later. Thinking that I was going to have to send it back to get it fixed I changed the battery, and voila, problem gone. This may not be your problem, but I could relate to your situation just having gone through it.

dshea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back