Pro-ject Headbox?
Aug 13, 2002 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Astroinvader

New Head-Fier
I noticed that my local Hi-Fi shop has this amp for about $210.
I find very little info about this amp and no reviews.
I did a search here and found a thread but no answers, so I
thought it would be good to bring it up again.

http://www.audiotra.de/project/project_headbox.html

I will bring my Etys to the shop and take a listen someday soon.

The sales person was a bit sceptic about it and it seemed as
if he did not know anything about it either.
It has three inputs and one out, this is very useful for me.

Has anyone had a chance to listen to it and may be able
to give me some pointers as what I should look for?

The input selector and dual headphone out with separate
pots makes me think that this amp is more geared towards
being useful and practical rather than focusing on delivering
great sound?

Aug 14, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 8
I would not be able to tell - although the extruded metal and front plate looks similar.
This amp is very short (not so deep).
They make phono amps in this size as well.
I got the feeling that Pro-ject made their own gear.

Aug 14, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 8
This appears to be the same company that builds the Project Turntables. They are well made nice sounding tables with a good reputation. I would think the head amp would also be a nice piece, but I would deffinatly give it a listen with your cans, or ask for a trial period on the purchase so you can be certain you like it.

Aug 20, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 8
I also was offered the Pro-ject head amp when I went to the local dealer. I have seen lots of positive reviews on their turntables. They have a reputation for making things well but on a budget so in general their products have the repute of being good value for money. The unit I saw looked well made with good quality sockets and smooth controls. The bloke in the shop basically stocked this one only and had not compared it to others. I suspect it will be analogue orientated in it's sound reproduction since this is an anologue Co. It probably compares to other manufactures stuff that is about 25% more expensive. If I am correct Pro-ject are swiss so it is probably well engineered. Someone needs to take the plunge and have a listen.

Ian.

Aug 20, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Tim: I don't really think so, because for Rega the Ear is almost a mus, with almost/all (? not sure...) of their stuff electronics no headphone jacks at all - and the Rega desgin is nice, so people might want their headphone amp to fit to the rest. Whereas in case of Pro-ject a headphone jack isn't really exspected on turntables, so not offering one wouldn't hurt...

And, btw, I've heard that the Pro-ject tables are actually made in the Czech Republic. There might be some oem company that builds stuff for other brands, there...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back