PRIMO CD-3 ($65 Japanese open-back headphones) — Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2023 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

voja

500+ Head-Fier
These 80s-style headphones are from the veteran brand, PRIMO.
Primo Company was founded in 1952 in Tokyo, Japan as Musashino Acoustic Laboratory, first producing stylus cartridges and crystal microphones and, after a number of years and worldwide presence under the new name of Primo Company, Ltd., also began making dynamic and electret condenser microphones for high-end application where the need for precision performance and high fidelity were required.
-primomic.com
Little do most people know, PRIMO used to sell headphones back in the 80s and 90s. It manufactured a dozen or so models, of which one was CD-3 (released in 1986). Here we are 37 years later, seeing the CD-3 re-launched. What's more impressive is that the drivers are assembled in-house, which includes coil winding, diaphragm molding, and also using in-house production for plastic molding. These headphones remain practically authentic, and are one of the few headphones that still use samarium cobalt magnets.

Product page: https://www.primocorp.co.jp/product-personal/detail/123
Anniversary page: https://primo70th-anniversary.jp/

CD-3_1000px (1).png

Driver: Φ39.5mm
Sensitivity: 103dB SPL/mW
Impedance: 35Ω
Frequency Response: 10Hz to 20kHz
Maximum input: 50mW
Cord length: 80cm, Φ3.5mm stereo mini plug
Weight: ~88g
Accessories: Storage pouch

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 4
Love that it's only 88g

Oct 27, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 4
I've been using the CD-3 headphones for close to 4 months already! Extremely lightweight, so much so that you forget you're wearing them. Comfort is top-tier, as you can expect from such a light portable on-ear headphone, but I must say that the pads are quite thick and cozy. Ever since I first tried them, they became my daily drivers, and I'm quite impressed by how they sound. It's much more than a "pop tuned headphone", there is great depth to sound thanks to the true open-back design.

DSC-0096.jpg

DSC-0094.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back