Prime Video audio quality s***ks
Aug 29, 2019 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

schnesim

New Head-Fier
Recently I started watching an episode of Supernatural on prime which I also have the bluray of but, felt too lazy getting up.
Eventually I moved my lazy ass, continued watching the bluray and holy cr**p. The audio of the bluray was so much better, even through a mediocre soundbar. Everything sounded clearer, less mushy, tinny. The video quality also improved, just a little bit, but this I already knew.

So either the producers or Amazon really messed up the audio quality at least on this show. But I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon did skimp on audio bitrate since people might notice this less compared to image artefacts.

Now I am at a point where I'm really hesitant watching anything on prime, simply because of knowing that the audio is lagging so far behind the video quality. It's like always listening through your uber expensive headphones to compressed 96kbit/s MP3 files.

I think we are missing a Tidal/Qobuz equivalent in the video streaming world but considering how niche of a market this is, I guess we'll never get one. Too bad...

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 2
I think you are probably correct. I have Amazon Prime and I’ve watched a couple movies and tv shows. For me, it’s good enough. I never expected something of higher fidelity. It would be nice if it were better.

I also stream Netflix movies and the sound is actually good. However, compared to Blu-ray Discs, it seems that Netflix streaming audio is not up to par.

Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back