"Precision Mastech" digital multimeters?
Jan 10, 2004 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Demolition

1000+ Head-Fier
Has anybody had experience with DMMs made by Precision Mastech (aka MASTECH)?

I'm in the market for another DMM (my old WaveTek 16XL is dead) and I've noticed these Mastech DMMs popping up in electronic parts stores around here. The specs sound decent on some of them, but the prices remain relatively low.

Anybody heard anything about them, either good or bad?

D.

Jan 10, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 4
I picked up a five of them for next to nothing on Ebay for work. Not the autoranging ones, but with capacitance and Cat III 600V rating. One of them had one of the LED segments non-functional but the rest were fine. When I looked on the inside, they looked kind of flimsy compared to the Flukes I am used to. However, their readings match my bench Flukes and my PM2525 very closely as well as my Fluke 87 III, all within calibration. All in all at the price I paid ($15.99 each ) I thought they were a great deal. Incidentally, I bought the units for my junior engineers at work some 7-8 months ago and they are all still working well, despite being knocked around quite a bit.

Jan 10, 2004 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 4
I actually picked up an MY-64 shortly after posting my question (without waiting for an answer). Suggested retail was $79 CDN (~ $63 US), but I picked one up for $63 CDN (~ $49 US).

It's fairly well-built and has more features than my old WaveTek. I used it this evening for sorting out some resistors and capacitors, and for checking continuity on a headphone cable that I was repairing. So far, so good.

By the way, thanks for your comments. Even though I didn't wait to hear what anyone had to say about Mastechs, your posts make me feel better about buying this DMM after the fact.
smily_headphones1.gif

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back