Preamp for SVS SB2000 subwoofer.
Dec 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

speeman

New Head-Fier
I have a Jolida hybrid amp with Kef Q900 mains. I recently purchased a SVS SB2000 subwoofer, this is where my problem comes in. The Jolida has a variable rca output, but the output is very low. Jolida said the output is to be used for bi-amping and would require a dB increase to be used with the subwoofer. The sub does not have speaker wire inputs. I was told that a phonograph preamp would include a RIAA equalization curve, which would negatively affect performance. I was also told I need compatability with RCA I/O. I really am not sure what all that means. Any suggestions, otherwise I am going to have to return the sub for one with line level inputs?

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 7
What is feeding the music to the Jolida amp? I think I would get rid of the Jolida amp and put in something simpler, like this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS301B/Yamaha-A-S301.html?tp=34950

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 7
I have a Jolida hybrid amp with Kef Q900 mains. I recently purchased a SVS SB2000 subwoofer, this is where my problem comes in. The Jolida has a variable rca output, but the output is very low. Jolida said the output is to be used for bi-amping and would require a dB increase to be used with the subwoofer.

Have you tried it yourself to see, or just going off what Jolida said? The SB-2000 has a variable gain (labeled "volume") control that is designed to be used with home theater systems where the input signal could be greatly reduced or attenuated to balance it with the speakers.

If you are unsure how to configure your sub to integrate in with your speakers, the people in this SVS subwoofer owners' thread could tell you how to do it and also tell you if you are having to run the gain too high: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/737143-official-svs-owners-support-thread.html

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Yea I set it up, the variale rca output on the amp to the input on the sub. The sub moved a little with the music but even at the highest volume on the sub and on the amp it was unhearable.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 7
Yea I set it up, the variale rca output on the amp to the input on the sub. The sub moved a little with the music but even at the highest volume on the sub and on the amp it was unhearable.

Then I would definitely go ask over in that SVS owners thread at AVS. Describe your setup and problem in detail and see what they suggest. AVS's subwoofer forum is to subwoofers as Head-Fi is to headphones. I have an SVS SB-1000, and that's where I would go. Nothing against Head-Fi; I wouldn't go to AVS for headphone or headphone amp advice either.

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks. I have talked with SVS and decided to return the sub. SVS has been awesome to work with. Their customer support was fantastic and that is hard to find these days. They paid for the return shipping as well. I really wish we could have made it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back