Powering pre-2007 HR Desktop Portable w/ SLA Battery?
Jan 23, 2008 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

electronguy

New Head-Fier
My 2006 (?) HR Desktop Portable amp + DAC has a 4.5-6V input on the back for the 4-D battery brick. I'd like to use a rechargeable lead-calcium 6V battery and was considering putting a 3A diode in series with a fuse and positive lead of the battery to drop the open-circuit voltage of the fully charged battery to about 6V even (on-par with 4-D cells). However, it would be nice to not have to lose that bit of juice.

I recall reading over the past couple of years as I've been browsing your website that at one point HR used Cosel DC-DC converters. From all the specs I can see on the DC-DC converters (I even have one in a homemade amp I built) they operate 4.5V to 9V, so a 6V SLA secondary battery seems like it would be okay.

For reference, I purchased the HR Desktop Portable + DAC just before your 2007 release of the rechargeable version.

Thanks for your input,

Scott

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi There ElectronGuy,

Should be no problem at all using the 6v SLA battery pack on the Portable Desktop unit -- I would not even worry much about the 3A diode so long as the power rating is not much above that 6v standard.

Please feel free to shoot Mike Olson HR Service Manager an e-mail (mikeo@headphone.com) if any lingering questions!

Cheers,

Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 5
Excellent news, ElectronGuy
biggrin.gif

Enjoy The Sound!
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Users who are viewing this thread

Back