Powering a Car Stereo Amp indoors?
Oct 8, 2003 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

maestro

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if it is possible/practicle to power a DC-powered amp indoors. I've got a couple of subs and amp for my car that would be better served in my dorm room.

I don't a receiver yet, so I couldn't power the subs from something like that.

Oct 8, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 6
It is quite possible to do this, you just need a REALLY good and powerful AC-DC converter that is capable of running a good 5 full amps of current thru it. If you buy some cheap wall wart it will only give you about 500mA to maybe 1A, so you will need a really good regulated power supply that can feed a lot of current to the amp at 12 volts.

Oct 8, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by maestro
How much would something like that go for and where could I find it?

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?hand...294967209&Ne=3

It won't cause a single problem with your building's power. You may get some looks for the high sound levels you could make, but won't have a single problem.

Oct 8, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 6
My above link is just for one manufacturer's pricings. If you go to Mouser.com and do a search for 12v power you will come up with all the results. Just look for one with a good 5-12 amps of power.

Or, just buy a used receiver for about the same cost and have a tuner, receiver, amp, and expandability for the future.

Oct 8, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 6
If you have a really good computer power supply, you could just rig it to one of the HDD connectors (+12V), I know the one new black PCPower+Cooling puts out about 48 Amps into it, which is crazy...so that should work, but either way, you'll have to figure a way to rig it to turn on (I think it's another one of the cables)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back