Power Supplies - Just how much do they really contribute to sound?
Jun 3, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #31 of 38

Quote:
Yeah, well I have a third battery to go into my system should two not be enough.
smile_phones.gif

Two is probably fine in Hiraga's design, considering that they have enough power to start a car in cold weather.

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #32 of 38
Power will influence the circuit to some extent if the cirucit has no cleanup, ripple surpression and bypassing components added.
Some around here seem to blow this topic way out of proportion....  On the flipside, perhaps some don't give it enough respect.

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #33 of 38

Quote:
Power will influence the circuit to some extent if the cirucit has no cleanup, ripple surpression and bypassing components added.
Some around here seem to blow this topic way out of proportion....  On the flipside, perhaps some don't give it enough respect.

Who are the some?  Battery power as with the Red Wine Audio approach? - is that going overboard and entering the realm of the inconvenience of battery changes and for returns that are not worth the hassle.  Or grid power with a well built, regulated power supply?  Is one cheaper?  Why aren't more adopting battery power for non-mobile components?

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #34 of 38

Quote:
Quote:

Who are the some?  Battery power as with the Red Wine Audio approach? - is that going overboard and entering the realm of the inconvenience of battery changes and for returns that are not worth the hassle.  Or grid power with a well built, regulated power supply?  Is one cheaper?  Why aren't more adopting battery power for non-mobile components?

The some that just assume that all internal sources are bad because of the fact they are internal. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #35 of 38
their claim is not entirely accurate. 

measure the ripple and noise of a battery (li-ion in the tests I saw) at idle, and it is far superior to all but the best regulated power supplies.  measure it at load, and even a simple pi filter performs better

Quote:
Red Wine Audio's Isabellina HPA/DAC is an interesting unit.  They power this Desktop unit with batteries claiming superior sound since it's 'off the grid' and hence, not vulnerable to sonic noise from being connected to the grid as well as further deterioration in sound from the AC/DC conversion process.

Very 'sexy' concept. 
evil_smiley.gif
  But are the returns really that audibly different when compared to a decent power supply unit connected to the grid?

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #36 of 38
I don't know much about engineering but following is what Neco, one of the rising head amp producers in the UK at the moment, told me in our conversation on ebay when I asked him the same thing the OP is asking:

Quote:
Hi Joey,

Electronics + Audio combination can be very confusing and I have to say there are lots of makes/models out there that uses this to their advantage for easy cash and I do not mean PSU argument... What matters most is quality components, good PCB layout and no-non-sense simple design approach. 

Kind regards,
Neco

Quote:
I get this question a lot about PSU. Answer to this is NO mainly because PSU is AC (alternating-current) type and most important part i.e. conversion to DC (direct-current) happens inside the amp very close to amplifier components. I did it like this to have lower RF noise and this is by far the best way...DC conversion inside the amp is miles better than some PSU sold for few hundreds of pounds.

On the other hand having a higher current more efficient AC PSU might have less hum but this is hardly any effect on sound quality. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #37 of 38
Well, does it depend on the PSRR of the circuits at what frequencies the circuit reject noise? (source, Tangent Audio)

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #38 of 38

Quote:
their claim is not entirely accurate. 

measure the ripple and noise of a battery (li-ion in the tests I saw) at idle, and it is far superior to all but the best regulated power supplies.  measure it at load, and even a simple pi filter performs better

Are you quoting the TNT article/measurements on battery power? This is now shown to be deeply flawed & of no value whatsoever.This line has been often quoted based on this TNT paper & it should be withdrawn deleted to avoid further confusion.

Or are you citing your own tests? I would like to see them. 

I can refer you to a more reliable authority NIST & their paper "measurement of voltage noise in chemical batteries"  http://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/1133.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back