Power Play: Exploring the Impact of Clean Power on Audio Performance
Oct 24, 2023 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Pfeiffershop

New Head-Fier
Ever wondered about the role of power in your audio setup? Let's talk clean power, power conditioners, and their influence on your gear's performance. Share your power-related experiences and let's power up this discussion!

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 2
Not sure if hot take but;

Clean power doesnt matter when a good amount of people like wet full bodied sound and the EMF picked up adds to the colouration of the sound and gives it that mid upper bass fun.

That being said how much it affects the clearity really depends on how isolated the components are. Like using the Fiio K9 pro AKM for its intened purpose being headphone out there isnt much difference but adding a properly designed shielded power cable cleans up the line out to my speakers by a good margin that even the power conditioner couldnt.

Speaking of power conditioners might just be my setup but having a proper shield power cable makes a big difference to both my PC(yes I know I should be running a parallel chain but costs) and my tube headphone amp. Its kind of crazy how quiet tubes actually are if you feed them good clean power. The important part is how it generally tightens the imaging and shifts the tonality from a warm mildy gooey to a almost solid state like snappy sound but still with the benifits of tubes increased stage.

So yeah I feel the lesser grounded your components are as well as the more class A bias/fully class A amps benefit alot from getting clean power.

Now on to the really wackjob part. For some reason solid core wiring provides much better imaging and microdetail at the expense of dynamics compared to litz based power cables. Not sure how a power cable connected to the power conditioner can provide such far reaching effects to components it isnt directly connected to but it just does. Then you go even deeper down the wackjob hole where both the type of metal sleeve as well the insulator used has effects on the decay speed and general tonality shift.

Thank you Darran from Arctend Labs for sharing your experements and making me question my sanity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back