Pow Chu Moy R.I.P
Jun 27, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #16 of 24
How clever to use the moniker CMoy.  See Moi is the Chinese name for their sweet/salty/tangy preserved fruits enjoyed since childhood, and eaten like candy or dessert. Once you've partaken of them, all you have to do is mention their name and it results in a gush of saliva into the mouth in anticipation.  In Hawaii, it's also referred to informally, as Crack-Seed (cracked-seed) although the actual product called crackedseed is only one version of See-Moi.

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #17 of 24
I haven't been here for years, but somehow stumbled upon the news of his death. Many moons ago, I was very active on this board many thanks to Chu Moy. Although I joined this community pretty late in the game, Chu Moy indirectly inspired me to become an electrical engineer after building my first CMoy amp and becoming hooked on DIY amps.

Rest in peace. Thank you for everything you've done for me, for us, and our community.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #18 of 24
So sorry to hear...

I have a CMOY kit that I started in middle-school and never finished. I think I'll knock the dust off and finish it. 
smile.gif

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #19 of 24
Hi, I was very sorry to hear of Chu's passing. Seeing there is not much info about Chu, I.ll share a little. I was a schoolmate of Chu's in New York. He grew up in Chinatown, NY and attended Poly Prep CDS in Brooklyn. He was a very nice person. Very quiet and reserved. Mostly kept to himself. Very studious and hard working and a strong student. He graduated HS in 1979 and attended Yale for undergrad, and I lost track of him at that time. I'll try to attach a pic of Chu from high school.

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #20 of 24
Hi, I was very sorry to hear of Chu's passing. Seeing there is not much info about Chu, I.ll share a little. I was a schoolmate of Chu's in New York. He grew up in Chinatown, NY and attended Poly Prep CDS in Brooklyn. He was a very nice person. Very quiet and reserved. Mostly kept to himself. Very studious and hard working and a strong student. He graduated HS in 1979 and attended Yale for undergrad, and I lost track of him at that time. I'll try to attach a pic of Chu from high school.

Keep us up-to-date with what you find from when you knew Chu and what you may find on Chu after you lost track of him.

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #21 of 24

Please do share whatever info you may have found.  His life should be celebrated.

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #22 of 24
I just found out that Chu passed away.  I haven't been on Head-fi for a long time, but I felt the need to log in and comment.  I can't believe there are only 21 comments about this.

Like many of the people I recognize in this thread, I was a member of Headwize even before Head-fi existed.  I was a college student when Headwize started, and Chu's passion toward headphones really drew me in.  Even though I'm not as fanatic about audio as I was 17 years ago, the audio world is still a part of me.  I made many friends on Headwize and Head-fi, and I feel I owe that all to Chu and Headwize.  I always admired Chu, not just for his passion toward headphones, but also his commitment to the community.  His stance on advertising and sponsorship may have lead to Headwize's demise, but he never budged about it because he felt it was better for the community.  RIP Chu.  You will be greatly missed.

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #23 of 24
Just saw this thread. Wow. Just wow. Gobsmacked. I still have my CMoy (and META42 for that matter). I discovered Headwize first (because I was pissed off about these $80 crappy Sony earphones), and then joined Head-Fi for its consistency. Read about the circumstances of his passing from Tyll's post on another forum. So sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back