Portable set up for newbie?
Dec 9, 2014 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

seatown7

New Head-Fier
Hi! New member looking to upgrade my iPhone/headphone portable set up. If you were going to go for a jog or hit the gym with some sound, what would you use?! I'm currently just running Shure in ear phones from my iPhone 6. Budget could go in the $300 to $500 range. Thanks!

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi! New member looking to upgrade my iPhone/headphone portable set up. If you were going to go for a jog or hit the gym with some sound, what would you use?! I'm currently just running Shure in ear phones from my iPhone 6. Budget could go in the $300 to $500 range. Thanks!

I'd go with a "beater" IEM for that kind of use. First off, you'd have a lot more sweat, and that can have adverse effects on the cable at least if not also the finish on some IEM shells. Second, the higher you go, chances are they're better designed for noise isolation, and you don't want to not hear traffic, or the minute footsteps any wild animals in your area might already be taking before it pounces on you (I have to watch out for cougars and bears when I'm in California for example; I haven't been to NY, but thanks to Law and Order I pretty much should just avoid Central Park at night).

Many people also use a beater DAP like a Sansa Clip, but personally a good armband for a smartphone is better. At least you can use a smartphone to call for help if you need to (then again, my jogging routes can be a bit different from others'), if not also use apps to track your route via GPS (so even if you don't call, if someone at home or wherever notices you aren't back yet, the phone can be tracked as long as it's intact).

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 5
I use the MEE M6P, but I think nowadays you have even better choices (even back when I got it in 2011 local availability was the main draw; I would have gotten Fischer Audio if it wouldn't cost me more). Check out reviews on two IEMs - I'm planning to get either of these if and when my M6P kick the bucket.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/havi-b3-pro-1

http://www.head-fi.org/products/vsonic-vsd3s-black-high-fidelity-professional-quality-stereo-inner-ear-earphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back