Portable Micro VS Portable Desktop
Aug 16, 2008 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kboe

Headphoneus Supremus
I am beginning to save for a portable setup and have been devotedly cruising Headroom for options. My notion is to get the portable versions of either the Micro or Desktop. Reading about both I believe that the two share the same amp technology and thus sound quality, but the Desktop comes with a modified DAC. Being that I mostly travel sans laptop(walks between classes and car travel... passenger) and will not be needing the DAC, is the Micro a better choice or am I missing something. Plus, I could better spend the money on upgrading from Denon 2000's to 5000's for the travel rig.

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am beginning to save for a portable setup and have been devotedly cruising Headroom for options. My notion is to get the portable versions of either the Micro or Desktop. Reading about both I believe that the two share the same amp technology and thus sound quality, but the Desktop comes with a modified DAC. Being that I mostly travel sans laptop(walks between classes and car travel... passenger) and will not be needing the DAC, is the Micro a better choice or am I missing something. Plus, I could better spend the money on upgrading from Denon 2000's to 5000's for the travel rig.

Thanks, Kboe... The HeadRoom Portable Desktop Amp/DAC design offers a significantly improved, better-sounding 'Class A/B' head-amp & D-A processor topology so it does perform with substantially improved musical detail resolution and dynamic range extension [imho!
tongue.gif
] versus the less expensive (& smaller) Portable Micro. Further, the Portable Desktop Amp's larger chassis size -- about twice as big as the Portable Micro chassis -- allows for much broader input/output arrays compared to the Micros, including both 3.5mm mini-plug & 1/4" full-size headphone connections, along with stereo RCA line-level outputs on the back panel plus dedicated 3.5mm line-in connections [perfect for iPod/Mp3 use] and a pre-amp out as well.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/ Product Manager

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jorge, how does the amp section of the micro ultra compares w/ the desktop portable amp section? Thanks.

Thanks, Mrarroyo -- I'd give the edge here to the Ultra Micro Amp given its virtual 'Max'-level internals w/Burr-Brown 627OPAs [& JFET topology], versus the 'Home' level Burr-Brown 2134OPAs utilized by Portable Desktop Amp. Both operate in true Class-A bias but in conjunction with an upgraded ps -- either the HeadRoom DPS or the slightly lower-performing all-voltage (international-use) Astrodyne Power Supply -- the Ultra Micro Amp sounds uber-accurate amazin' imho ...
darthsmile.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Aug 20, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 6
Hey JorgeC,
Thank you for the response. I am giddy with thoughts of high fidelity sound as I travel, but the old leather butt pad needs to grow a bit thicker first. Headroom will always have my business and respect as a customer. Now if you will excuse me I have to go enjoy my Micro Stack. Awwwwww Yeeeeeeah!!!

Aug 20, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Hey JorgeC,
Thank you for the response. I am giddy with thoughts of high fidelity sound as I travel, but the old leather butt pad needs to grow a bit thicker first. Headroom will always have my business and respect as a customer. Now if you will excuse me I have to go enjoy my Micro Stack. Awwwwww Yeeeeeeah!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back