Portable HP amp with EQ
Nov 19, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaydeltax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is an EQ in a portable amp desirable to any other than myself? How many bands might you want, and how much might such a product cost us?

EQ is a dangerous word to say in these parts.
lol.

EQ ruins your music, often distorting it and making it sound artificial.

Just buy an amp and listen for yourself.

Amps are not only made to drive headphones but make them sound better. You would benefit from an amp rather than a disgusting EQ.

And to answer your question, i don't think such a product exists.

Im still a noob here but i think i have the gist of it.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by mambo5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EQ is a dangerous word to say in these parts.
lol.

EQ ruins your music, often distorting it and making it sound artificial.

Just buy an amp and listen for yourself.

Amps are not only made to drive headphones but make them sound better. You would benefit from an amp rather than a disgusting EQ.

And to answer your question, i don't think such a product exists.

Im still a noob here but i think i have the gist of it.

How might you "enhance" your signal if not using an EQ?

Based on the "Sedra & Smith" text many EEs must read in school and also a book authored by Douglas Self, the primary function of an amp is to make a small signal bigger. In theory, an amplifier will only make the signal you already hear louder and not change its response curve in any way.

We all know amplifiers are not perfect, and will have some characteristics of their own. The input capacitors (used for DC offsetting), and the input impedances can alone cause a high pass response to occur. Provided you're using the same output capacitor as the input, you'll also have a rolloff present at the higher spectrum of your amp's output. Thanks, partly, to slew rate, we also are given a phase shift in all signals passing through an amplifier (the capacitors each provide a -90-degree phase shift also).

Distortion itself can come from any number of amplifier characteristics. The amps supply rails collapsing as your batteries discharge can cause your amps to clip prematurely and cause distortion, overdriving your input is another cause. In the case of a Class-D design, using a speaker setup outside the specs of the Class-D range can cause distortion.

I've rambled enough.

So, what does everyone feel a good portable headphone amp will have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back