Portable DVD Player or Laptop?
May 13, 2003 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
I have a big pile of DVD's that I haven't watched and I rarely get time when I'm home to sit down and take in a movie.I am going back to work in a few days and I'll be on "light-duty"(sitting at a desk) for about six weeks.I have a nice Toshiba laptop with a 15.7" screen but the battery lasts for **** when I watch DVD's and I need it for computing (and posting here).

I have no idea about what's available in the portable DVD player market and I'm wondering if a second laptop with DVD player might be a better choice.How is the sound on these players? what is a decent sized screen?How much?I know I could do some research but I trust you guy's opinions(and I'm watching a movie right now
biggrin.gif
).Do any of you guys use a portable player?How do you like it?

May 13, 2003 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
but the battery lasts for **** when I watch DVD's and I need it for computing (and posting here).

They don't have outlets by the desk for your computer?

Instead of buying an extra computer or player, you might want to consider just buying extra batteries, and then go to work with one or two extra ones all charged up.

May 13, 2003 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 8
I will be teaching a class at the Fire academy for 8 hours of my 24 hour shift and will be stationed at remote location for the remainder (15 hours or so) and I really don't know about the availabilty of outlets.I asked the guy who is now doing the job I will be doing and he says outlets are scarce and he is often alone for most of the shift but can't sleep(new rules).

May 13, 2003 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 8
You will not be able to get a 15' screen from a portable DVD player
smily_headphones1.gif

But the picture depends on the vedio card in your notebook computer. Some of the higher end portable DVD player are very impressive, but they are quite expensive around $700.
If your notebook computer is not too bulky for you, I would suggest buy something like this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?sku=E85-1006
At least you got a huge screen
wink.gif

May 13, 2003 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 8
I get at least two and a half to three hours out of my 12" 800Mhz iBook with the sound on, and the screen brightness all the way up... If I turn the brightness on the screen way down though, I can easily get four and a half to five hours. I've never watched a DVD on it with the battery plugged in, but I will charge it up today, and give it a trial tonight with a DVD to see how well it lasts.

Clutz

May 13, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 8
Hi Tuberoller-

I have a bit of experience with portable DVD players. I take regular 10 hour bus trips to visit my Mom...so portable film entertainment is a must.

I chose to get a dedicated DVD player because of my laptop's battery life while running the DVD player. It is 1 hour and 45 mins..not long enough to finish most feature films. I also wanted to travel a bit lighter..and even the largest portable DVD player is smaller and lighter than most laptops. It's too bad because the picture on my Sony Vaio laptop is fantastic...very high-res looking and better than any of the portable DVD players I have tried. The laptop has a smooth film-like look...the DVD players have a slight pixilated look. I understand the Toshiba SD-2000 model with progressive scan eliminates this...but I have not tried this player.

I've had two Panasonic portable DVD players over the past 3 years...the LV50 and LV60 (both had a 5.8" screen & both are discontinued). I really liked them but I recently opted for a larger screen as my peepers are not what they used to be
smily_headphones1.gif

I just got the Panasonic DVD- LA95 ($550 at J& R) after a brief period with the new Toshiba SD P1200 ($475 at J& R). The Toshiba had too many problems for me. You can see my review here....

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=33473

Make sure to read the update at the end of the post.

I can tell you that so far I am very pleased with the Panasonic DVD-LA95, but I have only had it for two days so far. The 9" picture is great. Crisp and clear. The sound is excellent through my PortaPros and superb with my Sony CD3Ks. It is capable of playing DVD Video, DVD-A, DVD Ram, DVD R, Video CD and Audio CD discs. The unit has a headphone out as well as Analog and digital line outs. DD 5.1 and DTS have an onboard processors and there are also dedicated outs for all 6 channels.

I have tested the battery life and it's much better than I hoped. The brightness of the monitor ranges from -5 to +5 with +5 being the brightest. My eyes prefer the -3 setting. At this brightness setting and using the headphones, the built-in (but removable) battery lasted 2 hours and 50 minutes before I got the "low battery" signal. I then connected my Energizer ER-DVD Universal Portable DVD battery ($100) and so far have gotten an additional 4 hours out of this little powerhouse and it still appears to be 1/2 charged. I am very pleased with this extra battery...it seems to me the way to go for extra power on the go.

I have every hope that this Panasonic will prove as reliable as the ones I have enjoyed in the past. When I have had a little more time with the LA95 I will do a little review.

The other player I recently considered and spent some time with is the Panasonic LV70 ($490 at J&R). It has a 7" screen and is really a nice player. I opted for the larger screen of the LA95...but the LV70 has a fantastic 5 hour battery life...the best out there right now.

John

May 13, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 8
There are TV's most of the places I go, so I bought a "totable" DVD player that has no screen, the Sony PSY something -1 something. (It's kind of funny-looking.)

Just a suggestion, if your station has a TV set. It's on the order of a US$100 solution.

May 14, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 8
i have a panasonic dvd L50 & battery life is a little over 3hrs
i would second getting extra batteries for your laptop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back