Portable Amplifier with Cowon DAPs
Jan 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ghost87

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Please guide me...

Never considered using a portable headphone amp, until I discoverd Head-fi. Now I am reading about the Ray Samuels P-51, and I am intrigued.

I format my music in FLAC...thus the Cowon DAPs are of interest

To properly get the benefit of the P-51, I understand you must connect via a Line-Out on the DAP

Does any of the Cowon / iAudio DAPS provide a Line-Out?

Thanks

Jan 14, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 7
the old ones, yes, but not the new ones.... and i don't even think the old ones have a good line out... why don't you get a player which can be rockboxed....

Jan 14, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 7
I've been a Cowon fan for several years now, and my X5 amped through an RSA Tomahawk is very good with my SE530s - it's my standard portable rig for cycling, especially because the remote is so convenient (although my Pico arrived today and it's already looking like taking its place). It's not a true line-out though. Then I acquired an iMod, and running it through an ALO V-Cap Dock and the Pico is a definite step-up.

I always hated iPods simply because of iTunes, but Rockbox fixed all that for me. But if you're dead-set on Cowon you can't go too far wrong in my opinion. Take a look at the S9, perhaps.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_sends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even without a line-out both my Cowon D2 and O2 sound fantastic with the Mustang!

-HK sends

I take it you simply plug into the headphone jack?

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 7
None of the new Cowons have line out except their PMPs I think. The old Cowons like the X5 had line out but you probably won't find a new one anymore.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it you simply plug into the headphone jack?

Yes. I normally leave the volume at around 3/4 on the player and then ride the volume on the amp. I know it may be blasphemy to audio purists but I also use the EQ and DSP (digital signal processing) adjustments on the player to tweak the sound to my liking.

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back