portable amp for instrument monitoring?
Jan 30, 2009 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

FiddlerMD

New Head-Fier
I play the violin in a rock band (Seven Ways Out - SEVEN WAYS OUT - official space of a nyc-based co-ed rock band) and want to monitor myself on stage via headphone (monophone?) since usually I'm way overpowered by drums and guitar. I have looked into solutions intended specifically for this and they are mostly wireless and require hooking up to mixers, etc... All I want is to a battery powered amp to drive a small earphone and a line out to go to the mixer.

I've been reading various reviews and opinions on things like the Fiio E5 etc (very small, would be perfect) but I am wondering if these amps have enough power to pull up a pickup level signal.

Anyone care to comment? Oh and I'm looking for this to be <$100
I'm not opposed to modifcation or DIY and I woudl probably end up modding wahtever amp to provide a "line thru" anyway

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 3
hi there, i wouldnt suggest a fiio for this, i have the e3 and the e5 and whilst they are ok for quite environments, they simply wont have the gain range to overcome any degree of background kerfuffle, the E3 doesnt even have a volume pot that you could use to get the volume right when you are in full swing. and the E5 digital volume is fiddly at best and not the most reliable

maybe look into a cmoy, chu-moy variant, with there old school and larg-ish knobs that are easier tochange and access, there are plenty on ebay in that price range and tend to have more woomph to them for what you are after, biosciencegeek is a trusted seller of those, that i have owned.

i am sure there are other branded amps also, but am just throwing that bit of info in, others i am sure, will comment too.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by FiddlerMD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I play the violin in a rock band (Seven Ways Out - SEVEN WAYS OUT - official space of a nyc-based co-ed rock band) and want to monitor myself on stage via headphone (monophone?) since usually I'm way overpowered by drums and guitar. I have looked into solutions intended specifically for this and they are mostly wireless and require hooking up to mixers, etc... All I want is to a battery powered amp to drive a small earphone and a line out to go to the mixer.

I've been reading various reviews and opinions on things like the Fiio E5 etc (very small, would be perfect) but I am wondering if these amps have enough power to pull up a pickup level signal.

Anyone care to comment? Oh and I'm looking for this to be <$100
I'm not opposed to modifcation or DIY and I woudl probably end up modding wahtever amp to provide a "line thru" anyway

If the pickup signal can drive the AUX or TAPE out of a stereo receiver, then most any headphone amp will do.
If it's more like the power out of a dynamic microphone, you'll need a preamp to drive just about any headphone amp.

If the input signal is coming from the mixer, it may be strong enough (200 millivolts or so) to drive any amp, and you may only need to convert the plug to fit the amp input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back