Portable amp for bass and soundstage?
Jul 14, 2014 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ShibeSuchBass

100+ Head-Fier
So i am looking for a deceantly low priced portable amp that improves the impact and presence of bass, but also improves soundstage. Let me clarify, I am a basshead, i love bass, i listed to mostly dubstep (no hate), some hip hop/rap, and some variants of dubstep, EDM... bass is very present in all of those genres and i love the feeling of it being impactful and powerful. I also started listening to ASMR recently (check it out!) and basically, it is essential that there is no crossfeed because binaural microphones are used and the purpose of it is to create a "3D sound" like only the left microphone audio should go through the left earphone and right to the right. Click on the ASMR link for more info and videos of ASMR. 
Currently, I am using the JVC HA-FX1X IEM's and i love them, perfect for my music and ASMR, little bit of crossfeed, but not too bad. When i listen through my PC, with no aftermarket soundcard, ASMR actually sounds like ASMR, as in right channel audio goes to the right earphone and left to left, you'll understand if you know about ASMR. On my iPod Touch 4g, its totally different and worse, there is no 3D sound, no binaural sound... everything sounds like its in the middle of my head, there is no only left audio or only right audio, both channels get mixed and it ruins any binaural audio, like ASMR which has no purpose if both channels are mixed. Since it sounds good on my PC, then bad on my iPod, it cant be the earphones, so it must be the DAC of the iPod.
So then that means i need an external portable DAC/Amp. I was thinking about the fiio E11 or Digizoid ZO2, since theyre good for bass, but after reading this, i think i need a DAC instead of an Amp. DAC for the ASMR needs and Amp for the bass boosting, right? Im still not even very sure what the difference is between a DAC and an Amp, but i think i would need a combo of both for this situation, but i only want one unit. I would be using the DAC/Amp for my iPod and PC when im listening to music or ASMR, so the battery doesnt have to last more than a few hours, but the E11 doesnt work when charging i hear which is bad, but not a deal breaker. Ive also heard the E7 is better, here. Its all just too confusing, so i come here. So again, need something for bass boost and bass improvement, ASMR (no crossfeed, great soundstage, accuracy), low priced (-$100), that can be easily hooked up and used with my PC and iPod (or any device that has a 3.5mm jack like a regular smartphone), it would also be nice if it could clean up audio grain and noise like static-ish sound in the background of music sometimes.

Please help! Thank you in advance! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back