Portable Amp/DAC with Ultrasone PRO 900
Jul 12, 2011 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

cokenbeer

New Head-Fier
I've had a pair of Pro 900's for about a year now and I'm incredibly satisfied with their overall sound signature and quality from an Asus Xonar Essence STX. Now I'm looking for an amp to use with laptop and whichever MP3 player I'm using. I listen to all types of music, but the majority of my listening is house, electronic, rap.

Originally I was planning to go with a desktop setup like the Audio-GD NFB12 and down the road look for a portable amp/DAC. The more I think about it, the more I lean towards a fully portable setup that I can use at home, school, or while traveling. Some early searches have led me to the iBasso D12 and P4.

I realize that the P4 is just a portable amp, the question is whether I would benefit from the DAC in the D12 that neither my Galaxy s phone or iPod can support? Will the DAC in the D12 perform better than using a line out from my sound card with the P4? What other products within the $300 range do you suggest? Finally, are there any MP3 players that support a digital output to a DAC?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back