Porcupine Tree - Stars Die
May 26, 2002 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Braver

Will upgrade headphoneswhen there's a MX600.
well, I'm really itching for a Procupine Tree CD, specially with the new month closing in and the prospect of some money on my bankaccount
wink.gif
I'm at loss for where to start.

I have some MP3s of various albums and absolutely love it. from more delicate moments to tally rocking out, and bags of atmosphere and mood. I'm confident that at one point in my life, I'll own their entire catalog, but for now, I'll have to do with one. I need more Pink Floyd and Yes and such as well, y'know.

to the point, is this a good collection? theres some B-sides on there as well, so it'll keep it's value once I get more of their CDs, or at least better than most compilations. I'm not too hot on compilations, but reviews are positive.

so, if you were to pick one Porcupine Tree album that would have to last till at least Christmas, would you pick this compilation or would you go for Lighbulb Sun or Stupid Dream or something else?

May 27, 2002 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 9
Go with STARS DIE, it's very representative of the music of Porcupine Tree. But it would be great if you could get LIGHTBULB SUN too... I'm sure you wouldn't regret getting these two.

May 27, 2002 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 9
This looks to be a tough choice. I'm with you, compilations seldom stack up once you get the rest of the catalog. I have Lightbulb Sun and I don't have Stupid Dream. My favorite is Signify and Lightbulb Sun is not too far behind. I don't think that I have heard a Porcupine CD that I didn't like, so you should not be disappointed with Stars Die and if there's more music on the compilation, well, so much the better.
nick

May 27, 2002 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 9
I think I'm going for the compilation. specially cause it has no stuff from Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun, so I could just get one of those next and then just keep up with what they release.

May 28, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 9
Definitely get Stars Die with no hesitations. I did, and I already have everything else by them. There's enough new (read: otherwise unavailable to me) material on there, and different re-mixes and re-recordings, that it's still worthwhile even to a compleatist, like me. It's also a very good introduction to them. (Personally, I like Stupid Dream better than Lightbulb Sun, but I like Recordings as much as either one of them, if not more, and it's limited, so I would get that next.)

Jun 17, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 9
well, I finally got it
smily_headphones1.gif
had to get a batch of Marillion CDs first, cause I'm really into them at the mo. bought three H-era CDs, which I think are among my favorites at the moment. really fantastic and beautyful music.

anyway, back to Stars Die, I like it! it lacks a bit of the catchy-ness of their last two albums I guess (definately getting Stupid Dream next). but some really great music in here. sometimes i rocks, sometimes it's just soundscapes, and it's always funky.

some tracks I don't care much for tho:
the Nostalgia Factory on CD 1, because the excessive use of effects on the vocals. the guy has a grat voice for this kind of music, and the effect he uses on this track totally kills it for me. guess I like my music serious...
Men Of Wood on CD2. this track never made it to a CD before, and I think that wasn't a bad choice. it's repetitive and lacks a bit of depth.

I compiled an MD of favorites of the two Discs (5 of CD1 5 of CD2) and it really kicks ass. and both CDs actually work as standalone pieces, not as much of a patchwork feel typical of compilations. specially CD2 is really good.

absolutely enjoying every minute of it, but I still really dig the more "poppish" accesible tracks of their last two albums (what I've heard of them), like Piano Lessons, so next purchase will probably oen of those. and another Marillion CD ofcourse (got to get em all!...or was that Pokemon?).

cool.gif

Jun 21, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 9
don't you hate it when something is obviously a trap, but you have to walk into it anyway?

damned limited editions! when you walk into one your (remotely) intersted in, you just have to pick it up, cause it might be your last chance...and the record company's strategy wins again...bah.

so, besides Lighbulb Sun (which I was going to get anyway, love it!), I bought Recordings too (#431 IIRC). it's all good stuff on first listen, but as you probably already know, it'll need some time to really 'stick'.

well, that should do it for a while. they're releasing a new one some time soon, looking forward to it!

Jun 22, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 9
braver, have to agree with your interest in porcupine tree, i just recently got some of their stuff and all i can say is "wow" now im waiting for what is basically the whole catalog which i ordered over the internet (goodbye paycheck) ill post some reviews after a listen or two.

Jun 22, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 9
Being a huge Porcupine Tree fan myself, it's great to see more and more people getting into their music. Can hardly wait for their new release to come out.

Welcome to the Tree everybody!!!...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back